Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timing belt replaced,,now car wont start!!!

boohsv

boohsv
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore Berlina
HI,can any1 plz help? my car has broken down in town due to the timing belt being broken,so i replaced it with a new one making sure it was put back exactly the way it was.Now the car will turn on but wont start....what is wrong?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
umm timing belt?

a lot of people call the serpentine fanbelt a timing belt.

how does it not start? does it try to turn over?

silly question, is it an auto, if so is it in park?

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
Also since your fanbelt/drivebelt, has broken you may have driven it until the battery has gone flat, so you may need to charge/replace your battery since your alternator with no belt on it cannot charge the battery, although if you left it to that point it may have over heated.

boohsv

boohsv
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore Berlina
Yes its auto and in park....Its also parked on a small hill, pointing down ways..

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
Yes its auto and in park....Its also parked on a small hill, pointing down ways..

Does the car turn over? or just no go, it could be possible that your belt has whacked your Crank angle sensor if its turning over and not starting, have seen this before, check down by the crank pulley for any signs of damage, has the car run at all since the belt has been replaced?

boohsv

boohsv
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore Berlina
yes it does turn over,,,what is a crank angle sensor?,,,it has not run at all....still parked where it broke down.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
yes it does turn over,,,what is a crank angle sensor?,,,it has not run at all....still parked where it broke down.

Have you replaced the belt?

Check the crank angle sensor, its a small black plastic box with an electrical connector going into it, its situated next to the crank pulley, front of engine, down the bottom, its the pulley at the bottom of the engine that the belt goes round, not too good at explaining this stuff.

The belt may have damaged it when it snapped.

boohsv

boohsv
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore Berlina
yes,the belt is brand new,,,bought from super cheap auto.im at home now,,gona have to walk to town and have a look.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
yes,the belt is brand new,,,bought from super cheap auto.im at home now,,gona have to walk to town and have a look.

If I get time this afternoon ill take a picture of what it looks like and where, but you probably be able to find one on this forum