Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

tips on car care related on caring for older holdens like the HQ holdens as well the 202 6 cylinder engines basic servicing

holden mick.1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais VZ
here was a tip i was wanted to share with you holden owners when replacing the oil filter on the 202 red six motor in cars liked the HQ kingswood's this was a really good easy tip i had done on the engine in my bros HQ ute when getting the oil filter on the engines firstly pour fresh oil in the filter housing and as needed to do on the job was put a smear of Vaseline on the o ring of the oil filter housing and really carefully spin on the filter till its was really tight if needed a few more turn was needed to see the filter was on the engine really tight as you donte this a few times you get really good at it over time as thiswas a really easy job to do on these red holden sixes these was the 202 3.3litre holden six motors as i workd on these engines in my time when i was fixing my brothers holdens and i knew what was needed tobe done in atfer thiswas done pour the new and fresh engine oil in the engine check as needed a s atfer a few good sort of miles say atfer a few thousand kays as need be really check thiswas done right if needed was check under car for any leaks thiswas my care tip for the 202 red motor in older holdens as i knew as a car enthusiast i knew my holdens well hope you get these tips for these older holdens thiswas info i have from my knowledge on these older holdens say the newer ones too thiswas what i knew

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
here was a tip i was wanted to share with you holden owners when replacing the oil filter on the 202 red six motor in cars liked the HQ kingswood's this was a really good easy tip i had done on the engine in my bros HQ ute when getting the oil filter on the engines firstly pour fresh oil in the filter housing and as needed to do on the job was put a smear of Vaseline on the o ring of the oil filter housing and really carefully spin on the filter till its was really tight if needed a few more turn was needed to see the filter was on the engine really tight as you donte this a few times you get really good at it over time as thiswas a really easy job to do on these red holden sixes these was the 202 3.3litre holden six motors as i workd on these engines in my time when i was fixing my brothers holdens and i knew what was needed tobe done in atfer thiswas done pour the new and fresh engine oil in the engine check as needed a s atfer a few good sort of miles say atfer a few thousand kays as need be really check thiswas done right if needed was check under car for any leaks thiswas my care tip for the 202 red motor in older holdens as i knew as a car enthusiast i knew my holdens well hope you get these tips for these older holdens thiswas info i have from my knowledge on these older holdens say the newer ones too thiswas what i knew
Good tip! When I had my HZ Kingswood I always did my oil filters the same way.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
We can all use Chatgpt.........
Tips for Keeping Your Holden VB Commodore Running Smoothly
Hey fellow Just Commodores enthusiasts!
I hope you're all enjoying the open road in your beloved VB Commodores. There's something undeniably special about these classic Holdens, and as proud owners, it's our duty to ensure they stay in top-notch condition. Today, I want to share some essential tips for servicing your VB Commodore, keeping it in pristine shape and ensuring it continues to turn heads wherever you go.
1. Regular Oil Changes:
One of the most crucial aspects of maintaining any vehicle is changing the oil regularly. For the VB Commodore, it's recommended to use high-quality oil, and the interval between changes should be around every 3,000 to 5,000 kilometers. This not only helps the engine run smoother but also extends its lifespan.
2. Keep an Eye on the Cooling System:
The VB Commodore is known for its robust engine, but even it needs to stay cool. Regularly check the coolant levels, and flush and replace it as recommended by your owner's manual. A well-maintained cooling system prevents overheating and keeps your engine in top shape.
3. Brake Maintenance:
Brakes are essential for safety, so ensure you inspect them frequently. Look for signs of wear and tear on brake pads and discs, and replace them when necessary. Properly functioning brakes are crucial for your safety and the safety of others on the road.
4. Transmission Care:
Don't forget about the transmission! Regular transmission fluid changes can extend the life of your gearbox and prevent costly repairs down the road. Consult your owner's manual for recommended intervals and fluid types.
5. Suspension and Steering:
The VB Commodore's handling is one of its strong suits. To maintain that legendary ride, keep an eye on your suspension components and steering system. Replace worn-out bushings, shocks, and tie rod ends to ensure a smooth and responsive driving experience.
6. Electrical System:
Electrical issues can be a headache, so check your electrical system regularly. Inspect the battery, alternator, and all wiring for signs of corrosion or damage. A well-functioning electrical system ensures everything from the lights to the radio operates smoothly.
7. Rust Prevention:
Unfortunately, rust can be a common issue with older cars. Regularly inspect your VB Commodore's body for signs of rust, especially in vulnerable areas like the wheel arches and undercarriage. Investing in rust prevention treatments can significantly extend the life of your vehicle.
8. DIY vs. Professional Servicing:
While many of these tasks can be done by enthusiastic owners, some may require the expertise of a professional mechanic. Knowing when to tackle a job yourself and when to seek professional help can save you time, money, and frustration.
Remember, keeping your VB Commodore in top condition isn't just about maintaining its value; it's about preserving a piece of automotive history and ensuring its performance and safety. Share your own tips and experiences with servicing your VB Commodore on the forum, and together, we can keep these classic Holdens on the road for years to come!
Drive safe and happy motoring, everyone!
Just Commodores Forum Member

Crunchy Granola

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore,77 Charger,Cagiva Raptor 1000
I used to watch my old man do the same thing on his beloved HJ. Except after he spun the oil filter on he would wash his hands thoroughly, wipe the filter clean and tighten with his hands only. No tools required. Cheers.

marty351

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl gemini
And if the sump plug still drips, just tighten it a bit more or until the dripping stops.