Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

To all owners of VE SS or SSV wagons with modified exhausts

loku16

Reaction score
Website
www.addicted2fish.com.au
Members Ride
2010 VE SS-V Wagon
Yeah mate... it's not an issue with the sedans. Because the wagon has a big open space and longer wheel base, apparently droning can occur. What I don't understand is

1. If you fit the same equipment in two wagons, how can one drone and the other not?
2. How can different sized wheels contribute to droning? Not talking about changing diameter of the wheels but just having 20" 275s at the rear?

Anyway...hopefully I can get rid of the droning! Doesn't help that I got an auto either I guess. (to confirm AFM is off)

RUF-60L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS
Yeah mate... it's not an issue with the sedans. Because the wagon has a big open space and longer wheel base, apparently droning can occur. What I don't understand is

1. If you fit the same equipment in two wagons, how can one drone and the other not?

well everyones definition of drone is different, u could sit in someones car who says it drones and u might not hear it.....

just like some ppl say its 'loud' drone.....it might not be loud to u :)

-vkhg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS
subscribed, my old mans had his exhaust done in his ss auto sedan and it drones crusing at 80 and 100. sounds like **** so im being really careful in looking for an exhaust system for my sedan.. let us know how you go?

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
VE Series II SS-V Redline Sportswagon A6 Phantom
I have an SS-V Sportwagon with KPM stainless 2.5 cat back AFM Auto and no drone that I can speak of, and if anything it is quieter when the AFM kicks in but sounds muted. Over all i think it is loud but I have been driving a Mazda 3 SP-23 for the last 6 years, where as my mate thinks it is quiet..........compared to his 5.7 with a full Di-Fillipo system. One thing I have noticed since putting an OTR on is that AFM will kick in at doing 40km where as it never kicked in until 60km before(but that is another topic, see tuner section)

VooDooWagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SSV Sportwagon M6
50-60 in school zone etc and when accelerating slow.

thanks for the replies and suggestions guys.

Does the auto rev that high at such slow speeds? My M6 is doing 1500rpm in 3rd at 50kph and 1900rpm at 60kph but no drone.

In 4th gear at 60kph it's revving at 1600rpm. I would've thought the auto would of been in a similar rev range in the same gear.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Fairly sure the autos have a different diff ratio, albeit only a slight change (going from memory they have a 3.27 vs the 3.45 manual - I'm hopeless at remembering gear ratios) which would make the revs at comparable speeds slightly different. Maybe fitting a manual diff will make it more manageable.

VooDooWagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SSV Sportwagon M6
I realize the auto has a different diff ratio, but I thought the ratios in the auto box would be spread in a way that the
speed and revs would be similar to the M6.

footy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SE 2010
check for holes in the exhaust welds + make sure they used proper hangers so nothing is rubbing/vibrating on the chassis

BlueSteele

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SSV Sportswagon
auto's are 2.9 gears. They rev to low and you get stuck in the drone zone. Changing to 3.45 gears will help immensely

Chaps90

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
auto's are 2.9 gears. They rev to low and you get stuck in the drone zone. Changing to 3.45 gears will help immensely

They guy at walkinshaw head office in Melbourne said this to me today as i was having a listen to the exhausts.

He said the auto has a 2.9 just so holden can make the emmision standards really easily or something along those lines.

Long story short he said the 3.45 would make it a lot better. And improve the cars performace dramatically.

Ill be fitting the 2.5" power pack with sports headers and a 3.45 diff. Ill let you know how it goes. Bit will be about a month before i do.

The car should be off its head by then.

I have a VE SS Series II Sedan, so shall see how it goes. Will definatly use the sound deadening in the boot tho as people suggest.