Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

to use a mechanical or electronic fuel for new 355

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
just tryin to work out whether to use a mech or an elec fuel pump for my 355??
i know there will be issues with the gravity feed to an electric pump....especially on the vh tanks
are there any ideas to run an elec pump without having to run an in boot fuelcell

LowVp

VP Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute 3.8T T56
you can put a vn/vp fuel tank, i did this to a vk for a v6 engine swap and all i had to was make the straps about 50mm longer

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
is the 355 efi or carby? i assume carby cos' efi doesnt really allow for mechanical.

so under the assumption of carby, i used a carter black pump and stuck it on the fuel tank strap. 2 bolts at the top either side of the strap and drilled on hole in the center of the strap for the bottom and then used all the carter plates/brackets. wasnt too noisy, but did need to be primed before use each time. but had no problem with gravity starvation.

also fit a fuel filter before the pump and change it shortly after a couple of tanks of fuel cos itll suck up the dregs in the bottom of the tank.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
yeah carby it is!
Have u got any pics ari??
how do u mean it needs to be primed each time?

is it possible to run an efi pump with a return line at the fuel pressure reg? so you will have continuos flow through the supply and return lines but only allowing 7psi through the reg to carb.

ive tried google for pics but there isnt much

ive already got the electrics there ready to go as the efi pump is already there!

is there a pump for carbies that will suck and pump??

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
yeah carby it is!
Have u got any pics ari??
how do u mean it needs to be primed each time?

This is how i did mine (which is a direct copy of how Ari did his)

I got an old FP bracket off my VL and put the Carter Black into the holder (there is a lip on the pump which holds it in)
I then attached this to part of an old fuel tank strap i had laying about
VH0093.jpg

I bolted the strap with the pump on it into the car and then drilled through the bracket fuel tank strap on the car and affixed the bottom of the pump bracket to the car
VH0037.jpg

This is what it looks like finished:
VH100.jpg

Ari did his slightly different and has a photo in my build thread somewhere. But both methods work fine.

is it possible to run an efi pump with a return line at the fuel pressure reg? so you will have continuos flow through the supply and return lines but only allowing 7psi through the reg to carb.
You can buy FPR's with a return line on them that will do a wide range of pressures. Ebay sell them.

smokem

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss 5.7
Holley blue fuel pump and half inch fuel lines is the go bud! If this thing goes hard youll find itll suck the standard fuel line dry!! I had standard lines first race meet i went to and it ran 13,s. Second meet had hal inch lines and hb fuel pump it went 11,s as it wasnt running outa fuel lol!

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Holley blue fuel pump and half inch fuel lines is the go bud! If this thing goes hard youll find itll suck the standard fuel line dry!! I had standard lines first race meet i went to and it ran 13,s. Second meet had hal inch lines and hb fuel pump it went 11,s as it wasnt running outa fuel lol!

I've heard/read too many bad stories about Holley FP's to ever trust or touch one. Just personal preference though.