Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Told to remove swaybar?

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
Was talking to the guys from canberra and im not sure if i heard him right, but im sure he said not to upgrade the rear swaybar but to remove the link pin from swaybar to body to improve handling.... im not expert but that just doesnt seem right

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Did he give any evidence to support his retarded idea?

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
yeah remove the link pins so the sway bar just sits in there being useless... if anything you want a thicker swaybar

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
Depending on what you are doing with the car, he can be correct.

If you are using the car for low speed tight cornering and trying to get the power down early, then having a light rear bar or no rear bar can be quite beneficial to quick response out of corners.
If the car is being used for track days on a fluent high speed track and you are carrying a lot of fuel and using a very good semi slick or full slick, then you may add a little to the rear bar.
A lack of rear bar will help create push in the front end of the car, which is no fun. To much rear bar can also make the rear want to slide, it is all a balancing act.

You would be amazed at how many cars at some of the events I go to have standard rear bars or have removed them completely.
You also have to take into consideration what front bar you are running as well.

Last edited:

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
just said to him i need it to handle more when im at wakefield park all he said was put a 30mm front sway on it and remove the rear swaybar pins... im thinking ummm not a good idea,
EDIT: sorry he said to remove just 1 pin...

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
I would have thought a stiffer rear bar would induce oversteer not push. I have just gone from adjustable rear bar to standard to none on the rear of my VC track car. I have a heavy adjustable bar up front set on full hard. Using the heavy rear bar and then having my rear shock absorbers re-built which gave greater rebound caused the car to oversteer and lose traction out of corners, hence the change to no bar.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Heavy bar on front will give more understeer or push. Lighter bar on front oversteer.

I always found changing the front bar was the best way to get the car to do what you wanted it to do in track racing or tight hill climb events.

If I could get a pic on here I could show a shot of me in the rain at P.I. coming through MG corner with the big sway bar on the Healey.....I'm in understeer with arms crossed to get enough wheel on to go through......but the big bar was perfect for track racing in the dry. Thin front bar and the tail was out all the time......Great fun at Winton.

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
I would have thought a stiffer rear bar would induce oversteer not push. I have just gone from adjustable rear bar to standard to none on the rear of my VC track car. I have a heavy adjustable bar up front set on full hard. Using the heavy rear bar and then having my rear shock absorbers re-built which gave greater rebound caused the car to oversteer and lose traction out of corners, hence the change to no bar.

Hey Noel, yeah opps, need to proof read sometimes, yes you are correct.
Where have you been hiding??
Haven't seen you much at all this year?

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
G'day Barry,
I knew what you meant, or I think I did. I have run a few events this year. I entered Gatton but I was informed my daughter was getting married the same weekend. I did Oakey, Leyburn, Pittsworth and Stanthorpe. Stanthorpe was good, 32 laps over the weekend with 6 cars at a time on the short circuit. I was classified as a sports sedan. I can't remember I may have done Mt. Cotton once. I was entered for the dirt circuit at QR but it was postponed until Dec 9 and I doubt I will make it now. I won my class at Pittsworth by 8/100 of a second. Oakey will be two laps at a time next year.
Word of advice don't ever get Cowie Performance Engineering to do any work on your car. Engine is out again, this time I will fix it myself. One shattered valve spring and another in three pieces. Coil bind on the valve springs and only 3 valves seated correctly.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
madsav can you lets us know who this was in Canberra, or PM me please. I have a feeling I know who it was, but I just want to be sure.

Also I have some whiteline adjustable swaybars on the front and rear of my car, as well as some good coilovers. Thet have been setup by someone with knowledge of what they were doing and the car handles great.