Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Toobrittle behind back seat?

KLatham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Commodore
I'm thinking of putting a better sound system in my VL, but am wondering if the back area behind the seat would be too brittle to handle the bigger speakers and bass from a sub.

Has anyone replaced this back area to make it more solid?

Any help is great. Cheers.

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
back area? rear parcel shelf is wood partical board and is part of the interior trim., underneath is sheetmetal, part of the car body.
some people replace the parcel shelf trim with a piece of mdf from the hardware.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I've got a 23mm piece of MDF in there, gives enough clearence for my 6x9's so they dont protrude too far into the boot, meaning i dont have to worry about whacking them with objects in the boot. Sturdy and secure.

Just dont go hacking into the sheetmetal under the particle board, otherwise you'll find yourself with a nice big headache trying to fix it if you get done.

vee ka

Reaction score
Members Ride
'85 HDT VK SS, '03 Liberty GT, '06 Forester XT
yeah as said above, just get a piece of MDF and cut it to shape. i have a ?? millimetre thick piece for my back shelf with carpet on top, looks neat and the speakers sit solid/screw into the wood. i have also self tapping screwed the shelf from underneath ( in the boot ) so the shelf doesn't slide forward or lift up when going over bumps.

works a treat