Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tow bar adaptor

TGibson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Hey everyone.

I haven't been able to find a solution to my problem so I think I may have to resort to resolving it myself.

My problem is that I have a square tube mount bike rack but the VX has the flat tongue tow bar. The solution that I'm thinking of is this:

towhitch.jpg

What do you guys think about it?

Cheers, Tim

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
As long as it's done by a competent welder it should be fine. You probably wouldn't even need the "side movement reducers". I'm assuming the RHS is welded to the flat tongue?

Reaper

TGibson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Yeap it will be welded. After drawing the picture I realised I wouldn't need the reducers either.

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
What size is the bike racks box section is it 50mmx50mm or 40mmx40mm
cause you could always upgrade to a bigger towbar then the bike rack would fit and cost would depend on what size the bike rack box section is..

But i wouldnt be using it for towing thats for sure cause its modified and not legal..........

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Doing that renders the bike rack virtually useless for any other vehicle. Getting the heavy duty towbar fitted is going to be around the $500 mark. What I would be doing is going to a wreckers, buying another tongue and welding a box section to it that will take the bike rack and drilling a hole for the pin. Then you will still have a useable bike rack that can be fitted to different vehicles, and a useable towbar on your car by just swapping the tongues over.

RockyVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Wgn, VP Sedan, V6 Ride on Lawnmower
or you could just buy another bike holder that is flat mount, and attatches under the ball. I believe they are a dime a dozen, and it would probally not cost as much as mucking around with this one!

If it was me, i would just ditch the rack.. who needs a bike anyway! - but seriously, if you were dedicated to doing this, why not just have the piece of RHS coming from under the vehicle and out, rather than welding it onto some flat bar. Drill the holes through it, and weld in some suitable EWS tube to prevent crushing when tightening the bolts. If really needed, you could stuff the pipe with sand, and heat it up with the Oxy, then bend it to the shape you need. Before you cut it to length that is.

All in, it would be easier to buy one that is sandwhiched between the ball and tounge, as i mentioned before. it would save you allot of grief and cash, and would look better than some stupid contraption made from deep fried Chihuahua and the front quarter panel off a supra. Would be lighter than a slab of 20mm flat bar on the back also. that stuff isnt exactly the lightest. I know you are thinking "ill go to 10mm" right? Wrong. Even having 50Kg of bikes hanging off the end of this, with a 10Kg bike rack, after a few decent bumps at speed, unless you harden it, that steel will be bending over faster than elton john at a back door boys concert.

Sorry about my attempted "puns". there seems to be no cold beverages available tonight. and its still 33 degrees, at 9:00pm. what a crock! - No insults were intended (this time!) :)

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Just thinking bout it now we sell the Hayman Reese fold down bike racks at work they are bout 120 bucks so not that much and its the one that leaves the H frame at the bottom swandwiched between the ball and the tounge....

I have one on my car and it also when the bike rack is not on the H frame at the bottom doubles as a anti-jackknife so the drawbar hits the h frame and stops it from hitting the bumper :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

RockyVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Wgn, VP Sedan, V6 Ride on Lawnmower
...sounds better than the 160 Kmart crap pile I was thinking about! :)