Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tow Bar Addition to Calais

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
Quick question hopefully someone can answer...

I'm wanting to put a tow bar onto my VE Calais, with reverse park sensors what type of issues am I looking at?

I am thinking about purchasing one off ebay that came off an Omega that didnt have reverse park sensors - however in the ve dash there is an option to set tow bar to on does this mean if i was to fit myself, it would likely be an easy job?

Holden have quoted me $990 park + install to tow a small 6/4 trailer.

Suggestions please?

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
Quick question hopefully someone can answer...

I'm wanting to put a tow bar onto my VE Calais, with reverse park sensors what type of issues am I looking at?

I am thinking about purchasing one off ebay that came off an Omega that didnt have reverse park sensors - however in the ve dash there is an option to set tow bar to on does this mean if i was to fit myself, it would likely be an easy job?

Holden have quoted me $990 park + install to tow a small 6/4 trailer.

Suggestions please?

Just fit the tow bar, set the dash to tow bar and you done. Its that easy!

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
i can supply and fit a genuine holden hitch tow bar for $700.00, there is a box that you plug into the wiring that works with the parking sensor that is part of the towbar kit.

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
i can supply and fit a genuine holden hitch tow bar for $700.00, there is a box that you plug into the wiring that works with the parking sensor that is part of the towbar kit.

I'll give this a thought, I assume its all new parts etc? Where are you located, out of interest.

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
yes brand new genuine holden parts, im in thomastown just off the ring road.

SafetyPsych

Safety Guy
Reaction score
Website
www.transformationalsafety.com
Members Ride
VE Calais
Towbar Question

Hi, Been down this road. You do not need a Holden Towbar. Go and get a Hayman Reece - they are bettet specs above the standard 1600kg's of the Holden. The real ? is about the rear parking sensors. The "black box" is essetually the same between a HR Loom and a GM loom. The difference is at the male connector where there is a litte magnet which opens/closes a reed switch. When wired in the reversing senors are swortched off when their is a plug in the harness. i.e. the corcuit is opon. When no plug the circuit is cleosd and the reersing sensors work fine. All the towbar setting on the control panel does is move the range out a bit from the boot to make allowances for the towbar. If the bar is set to far out it shall still beep anyway. Narva actauly sell the male plug for swtiching off the rear sensors for about $40. The genuine holden loom is about $150. It is a plug and play operation - exect for idneitfyint the two extra wires to us to connect up the reed switch. If anyine can pioint me to thjose two I'd be very gratreful.

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
G'day Glenn, is that price for the 1600 kg, with detachable hitch ?

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
I put the genuine Holden towbar onto my VE Calais some months back. It was relatively straight forward and very little tools required.

You just need something to cut the hole in the rear bumper out and a spare 1-2 hours depending on your dismantling knowledge of cars.

By memory I bought mine I think for about $650 from Watson Holden in Bundoora including the wiring harness. All brand new. I would have to double check that price first though.

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
#### me. cost price for a genuine holden bar is around 360 . what a mark up

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
quote from Holden in Darwin -
parts $545 incl wiring
fitting 320
total 865
the labour sounds a bit high, so I might wait until I visit Melbourne again ...