Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towing in 5th gear - SS 6 Litre Manual

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Technically you should tow in 4th, and not exceed 80km/h :)

Maybe in your ####ed up end of the world. Here you can do the posted limit :)

Reaper

Snoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh rally car
You can tow at the posted speed limit in NSW as well.
There used to be an 80km/h towing speed limit in NSW but they ditched that about 15 years ago.

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure 1600kgs is the maximum weight for towing a braked trailer... At least that is what my manual says for my SSV ute.

Mine is an auto & traditionally they tell you to use sports mode - Basically so the motor is quick to change down, hold revs & more then likely never selects top gear - but they don't mention it in the VE S2 manual. I'm only towing a small boat (Approx 600kg unbraked) & generally throw it into sport mode just to be on the safe side. Never had a drama, but you wouldn't expect to have one anyway.

Anyway, I know my comments are slightly off topic, but thought I'd put them out there for the auto boys.

SJM38S

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais L67
Lol yeah fair call.
And I didn't even know the 80km/h rule was abolished! Haha
I used to tow 3 tonne behind my d40 navara in 6th gear...
Having said that, a manufacturer can so no to a warranty claim if you're towing in an over drive gear (so both 5th and 6th in the boxes so equipped).
Maybe have a flick through the owners manual and see what they say about towing?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Towing in overdrive - it's not so much the engine that you have to worry about but the gearbox. Generally the overdrive is not deigned for heavy loads and are likely to eventually fail. Your choice I guess.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure 1600kgs is the maximum weight for towing a braked trailer... At least that is what my manual says for my SSV ute.

Mine is an auto & traditionally they tell you to use sports mode - Basically so the motor is quick to change down, hold revs & more then likely never selects top gear - but they don't mention it in the VE S2 manual. I'm only towing a small boat (Approx 600kg unbraked) & generally throw it into sport mode just to be on the safe side. Never had a drama, but you wouldn't expect to have one anyway.

Anyway, I know my comments are slightly off topic, but thought I'd put them out there for the auto boys.

There is a HD tow kit available which will run up to 2100kgs for an auto. Manuals they rate to 1600 because of stupid people who can't operate a clutch.

Reaper

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
There is a HD tow kit available which will run up to 2100kgs for an auto. Manuals they rate to 1600 because of stupid people who can't operate a clutch.

Reaper

So would that mean I'm limited to a 1600kg towbar on my ute because it's manual? I wanna get a towbar for mine just so I can tow our ski boat around the dam (it's roughly 1800kg) and I'd prefer the 2100kg over the 1600kg.