Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Toyota MR2 Engine Rebuild or Swap

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
yeah its just the same as the rev3, rev1 and 2 are the same and rev3+ are all the same.

The MR-2 went from rev1 to rev5 very little changed from rev3-5

What you waiting for..??!?!? get it bought before someone else does or you change your mind again lol

make sure it comes with the turbo, intercooler, exhaust and all pipe work as well as all the electronics

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
yeah its just the same as the rev3, rev1 and 2 are the same and rev3+ are all the same.

The MR-2 went from rev1 to rev5 very little changed from rev3-5

What you waiting for..??!?!? get it bought before someone else does or you change your mind again lol

make sure it comes with the turbo, intercooler, exhaust and all pipe work as well as all the electronics

Ah k. So there's no real point in getting a Rev4? If I can find a cheaper Rev3?
It takes planning lol. Need to find out whats actually included (this is from over east again)... don't think intercooler comes with, but apparently only $300 or something. Just want to find out some information first. Also want to know how much work is involved in getting it in... cause the rev3+ are slightly different... the MAF or something. Gotta research it.

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Ah k. So there's no real point in getting a Rev4? .

newer engine, less kms possibly..?

dont dither around to long.. look what happened with the last engine you had lined up!!

If you want to do it just buy it!

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
newer engine, less kms possibly..?

dont dither around to long.. look what happened with the last engine you had lined up!!

If you want to do it just buy it!

bandit10, I know I don't want to waste time. But I'd like to make sure I can fit the engine into my 90 MR2 without too much complications... I don't want to buy the engine and not be able to fit it to my car. Like I said, I didn't think the gen4 was made for MR2s.. so before I go buying engines, I want to make sure it'll fit into the mr2 and not cost me another 5000 to get the darn thing in.

He quoted me a 3sge and then the gen4 3sgte. So I asked if he had a gearbox for the gen4 aswell.

"Hi the quote is all about the engine not the gearbox,
besides which the gearbox is 4wd and not suitable in anyway for your mr2."

So now I'm questioning, because of the 4wd gearbox? because the 3sgte engine is shared in other cars will I have problems?

Last edited:

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
The Options I have are:

Rev2 3SGTE = AUD$1850 including shipping
3S-GE Beams + Gearbox = AUD$3050 including shipping
Rev3 3SGTE = AUD$3550 including shipping

Which would you go?

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
The Options I have are:

Rev2 3SGTE = AUD$1850 including shipping
3S-GE Beams + Gearbox = AUD$3050 including shipping
Rev3 3SGTE = AUD$3550 including shipping

Which would you go?

How many times we going round in circles...
I would go for a rev3 turbo motor if i had the choice.. 2nd choice would be the beams and 3rd choice would be the rev2

No matter which one of the 3 engines you choose you still have to do the conversion..

The most simple of the 3 conversions will probably be the beams as you wont need to worry about turbos and intercoolers etc..

If you could get a half cut you would have no problems at all as everything you will need is in the rear cut, turbo or beams wouldnt matter then.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
How many times we going round in circles...
I would go for a rev3 turbo motor if i had the choice.. 2nd choice would be the beams and 3rd choice would be the rev2

No matter which one of the 3 engines you choose you still have to do the conversion..

The most simple of the 3 conversions will probably be the beams as you wont need to worry about turbos and intercoolers etc..

If you could get a half cut you would have no problems at all as everything you will need is in the rear cut, turbo or beams wouldnt matter then.

Cool. I was thinking Rev3. But I've been hearing that Rev2's are more upgradable. I can't get a halfcut till end June/early July so that's out of the question. Just wanted to know what your thoughts were between the rev2 and rev3.

Edit: We aren't going around in circles. I determined I'm not reconditioning my 3S-GE, I'm leaving my current gearbox in until it dies or I find a cheap LSD replacement in the future. I'm not getting a V6 conversion. I won't get the BEAMS because it's not turbo.

To begin I was going to go with Rev2 because it was cheapest and was already there. But the difference between the Rev2 and Rev3 is $1500. So was trying to determine if the $1500 was better spent on a Rev3 or save and get a Rev2.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
My latest dilemma, I still haven't got an engine!
I'm thinking about a Gen3 3SGTE, no ECU, Wiring, Alternator, Starter, Intercooler for $2250 including shipment. Here are some pictures.
How does this look for an engine? (I can't really tell if its in bad condition or not).
The compression figures are 175 accross all 4 cylinders.
There was no oil or water leaks and no abnormal noises.

Or a gen3 3SGTE halfcut for $3800 + Shipping. Or wait until end July/early June for gen3 3sgte halfcut for $3300 inclusive shipping.

What do ya's think about the engine in question?

Attachments

• 3SGTE Gen 3 001.jpg
    3SGTE Gen 3 001.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 744
  • 3SGTE Gen 3 003.jpg
    3SGTE Gen 3 003.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 3,365
  • 3SGTE Gen 3 002.jpg
    3SGTE Gen 3 002.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 526
  • 3SGTE Gen 3 005.jpg
    3SGTE Gen 3 005.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 1,949
  • 3SGTE Gen 3 004.jpg
    3SGTE Gen 3 004.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 6,578

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
My latest dilemma, I still haven't got an engine!
I'm thinking about a Gen3 3SGTE, no ECU, Wiring, Alternator, Starter, Intercooler for $2250 including shipment. Here are some pictures.
How does this look for an engine? (I can't really tell if its in bad condition or not).
The compression figures are 175 accross all 4 cylinders.
There was no oil or water leaks and no abnormal noises.

Or a gen3 3SGTE halfcut for $3800 + Shipping. Or wait until end July/early June for gen3 3sgte halfcut for $3300 inclusive shipping.

What do ya's think about the engine in question?

No ecu wiring alternator starter intercooler.... forget it! will cost you a bomb so sorce them.. wait and get one of the half cuts.. will have everything you need in it..

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
No ecu wiring alternator starter intercooler.... forget it! will cost you a bomb so sorce them.. wait and get one of the half cuts.. will have everything you need in it..

Lol. I wouldn't care so much about the time if this was a project car. But it was my daily and don't have another car to get to work etc.

I found all the items of ebay, prob costed about 500-600 for all those parts (apart from intercooler), found someone with old intercooler & fan, wanted $20 and $20 shipping.

Spoke to mechanic, said it's not worth it cause I'd still need the hubs?, axles etc.