Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

traction control

vpdood

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 vp berlina
hey guys i have a y series clubby with a traction control issue.

when i drive with the traction control off everything is good, however when its on sometimes it operates like normal but randomly the traction control will turn itself off and i wont be able to turn it back on unless i turn the car off and restart it. when this happens the check engine light then comes on. allso when driving with traction control on the car feels like it is surging(sometimes) when i put my foot down.
i have had a new traction control module put in but that hasnt helped
anyone heard of this before??

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Check out what the check engine code is reffering to. Once this error is activated you cannot change into or out of power mode and traction control's mode. That will most likely be your problem. Get a mechanic to check the error code?

Traction control is bad, drive with it off!

vpdood

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 vp berlina
had a guy look at it, rekons hes gonna charge me $2500 for a new wiring harness.....i dont belive there is anything wrong with the wiring.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Well get another guy to look at it. The codes will be stored in memory so they'll be able to access it and see what problem is causing the check engine alert. Once fixed it would be extremly unlikely that you get locked out of and into traction control mode. When it happens next see if you can goto power or economy mode.

When accelerating with trac control on, it's surging? As in it doesn't let you take off? That would be what Traction control's meant to do, keep you in traction. Hence why others and myself dont like driving with it on.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
.When accelerating with trac control on, it's surging? As in it doesn't let you take off? That would be what Traction control's meant to do, keep you in traction. Hence why others and myself dont like driving with it on.

If its doing that, it usually means ur too heavy on the throttle! thats what the surging is.

vpdood

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 vp berlina
ive been told no code is being displayed. and it surges when ur just driving along kinda like the wrong message is being sent to the computer

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
You may have a faulty traction control system! have you got a second opinion of what the issue may be?

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
just so you know the traction control system regulates brake pressure to the rear wheels using the abs module, It doesn't alter engine revs.

look at the ABS module, to check for trouble codes, hold down mode and set while starting the car, use mode to cycle the menu, one will say trouble codes. write down the code, post what it is.

Pull the RED 10amp fuse out of the engine bay fuse holder for 10mins, then insert again. this will reset all the computers codes, and give the computer a fresh, clean set of parameters.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
just so you know the traction control system regulates brake pressure to the rear wheels using the abs module, It doesn't alter engine revs.

look at the ABS module, to check for trouble codes, hold down mode and set while starting the car, use mode to cycle the menu, one will say trouble codes. write down the code, post what it is.

Pull the RED 10amp fuse out of the engine bay fuse holder for 10mins, then insert again. this will reset all the computers codes, and give the computer a fresh, clean set of parameters.
In VT's onwards the ABS module is encoproprated with the ETC system and both run at the same time from the PCM. In a VY when ABS is needed the PCM requests the ETC to adjust the spark firing and air/fuel ratio. If the vehicle is supercharged it also changes the boost cycle. It also may shut off up to 5 injectors. The ABS module works at the same time providing brake pressure to spinning wheels.

Read for yourself from the service manual:
The ABS/ETC module monitors both front and rear wheel speeds through the wheel speed sensors. If at any time during acceleration the ABS/ETC module detects drive wheel slip, it will request [on the Torque Request (MMR) circuit] the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to bring engine torque into a specific range. This is accomplished via two high speed Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) circuits between the ABS/ETC module and the PCM. The PCM will then adjust spark firing and air/fuel ratio, altering boost duty cycle (Supercharged engine only), and shutting OFF up to five (5) injectors (if necessary), and report the modified torque value [on the Torque Achieved (MMI) circuit] back to the ABS/ETC module. Simultaneous with engine torque management, the ABS/ETC module will activate the ABS isolation valves, turn on the ABS pump motor and supply brake pressure to the over spinning wheel(s).

holdencple

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS 5.7L LS1
try unplugging the traction control plug in the engine bay see how it goes after that.
not sure if it will help but worth a try.