Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

transmission dramas!!! help

M

Masher64

Suggest you do the old paper clip in the diagnostic...I have had similar probs when the trans goes into "limp home" mode...stays in second, and sort of sound slike what you describe...if you get Code 72, it is a faulty VSS unit....about $300 to replace.

gregaust

Reaction score
TheForgotten said:
control arm wouldn't present as shuddering, it'd be a tapping.

That is if the bush is really chopped out you will get a knock/tapping.When they are soft they allow the diff pinion angle to go up and set up a vibration in the centre bearing.

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
i have done several rebuilds on the 4l60E, the most common probs they have is the main servo piston cracks, the trans pump bushes flog out and the spools in the valve body leak, dont mess around with this auto, they have a tendancy to bite you in the arse, if it slips in any gear, pull it down and FULLY rebuild it, including torque convertor, test the solenoids, with an ohmsmeter, replace every bush, measure sun gears, replace every friction and check 4 hot spots on the steels, replace the band and put corvette servo inplace of stock servo piston also get valve body reamed and new 3rd/4th spool. I love holden, but in my opinion this auto is ****, i rebuilt a vy one the other day that only had 100,000kms on it, do a manual conversion, much better option.

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
you cant put a vq auto into a vr, one has electronic kickdown and the main plug is different, they will bolt up (4H).