Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Transmission options???

Sherro57

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VQ Statesman V8
Can't ask for more than that

Thanks guys, I found a T5 from VN SS but it's in Melbourne & I don't have funds to buy it & get it freighted to Brisbane just yet.
So I'm pulling motor & box out today to split the tranny, send it off for reco & tidy up a few things on donk & wiring whole the box is getting sorted, then look at sourcing a period correct T5 conversion to drop behind it at a later stage.

Sherro57

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VQ Statesman V8
Just an update,
I got hold ofca T5 conversion locally & just finished the conversion. Soooooo much better to drive :)
There were a few hickups along the way with fitting & was a bastard with having to remove 10 things to do one task, with just about every stage but she's all back together now.
Anyone thinking of doing a manual swap on their Stato I'd highly recommend it.

Sherro57

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VQ Statesman V8
Hey there again,
Just an update on the Stato,,, I did the T5 conversion, and it's heaps better to drive than the auto, but the engine light comes on intermittently and it did the same with the auto. On doing a code check it comes up as code 24 (was the same when auto was fitted) and as far as I can understand, this means the VSS (Speed Sensor)
Having a thourough read of the book, there's a series of checks to perform,,, these check the speedo, trip computer and ecu?
When I did the conversion I swapped the VSS diode with the one that came with the T5 coz I knew the one from the auto showed as faulty, or no signal. The trip computer test shows no fault, the speedo seems to work, but I was suss on the ecu, so fitted a reco one. It drives smoother, but code 24 still comes up. I even put a brand new IAC & TPS in.
It seems weird that the VSS code keeps comming up,,, yet the speedo etc seems to work fine,,,, is this a common fault & should I bite the bullet & go buy a new VSS?
Cheers

Sherro57

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VQ Statesman V8
Oh and I'm not sure if this helps, but it only comes on after it reaches opperating temp & only after decelleration, it goes off after a short while when idling or if I give it a stab to around 3 grand when sitting still?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Bad connection?
Damaged wire?

Brumm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina 5L
Sherro57, how much did converting your Stato to manual end up costing you? looking at doing the same conversion in my VR. :yeah:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Sherro57, how much did converting your Stato to manual end up costing you? looking at doing the same conversion in my VR. :yeah:

You won't get change from $1500. You'll need to factor in buying a new clutch kit and possibly flywheel (Approx $500) and flywheel bolts (approx $50), and then you'll need to factor in the cost of installation and all other little bits and pieces that you'll need to find if the kit you buy is missing pieces. You'll need to put new seals in the gearbox before fitting it too, so add another $20 or so.

It really depends on where you buy the conversion kit from. Everyone seems to think that they're worth heaps of money. IMO, the cash you spend on converting to a manual (with no guarantee that the box is going to be quiet, smooth and not jump out of gears), would be better spent on the auto transmission or other engine modifications. I.e. cam, tune etc.