Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

trimatic to aussie 4 speed conversion

jakbob

Lighten up.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, VC L, VK Vacationer
Ok first of all I just want to clear the air and say I have read through all the previous posts regarding these conversions and I'm not some useless prick who can't use the search function.
I just bought myself a conversion kit and I want to make double, triple sure I have everything I need.
I've already put the pedal box in, wasn't too hard. But the last thing I want is to have to put the dreadful old trimatic back in after I get it out because I've forgotten something.
Heres what I do have:
Pedal box - installed
Clutch cable - installed
m20 gearbox - obviously
shifter and linkages
floorplate
manual console
rubber shifter boot
flywheel
flywheel bolts
clutch assembly - pressure plate, drive plate etc
bell housing, clutch fork, throw out bearing etc
spigot bush
dust covers
Now I have been told that the existing trimatic crossmember, tailshaft, and speedo cable are the same for the 4 speed? Everything should line/bolt up? I'd like to be really sure on this one.
Also, I'd like to put fresh oil in the gear box, I'm guessing this will be easier to do with the box out of the car, but is any likely to run out as I'm installing it? I figure it would be better to drain the old oil out then install the box and refill it to save having any run out. If its at all likely to run out of course.
Sorry if I dragged on a bit, but I'd really hate if I got so close to experiencing the joy of a manual transmission and then had to go back to the evil darkness that is the automatic.

NZVK308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK sold.. VN3.8 and VX aclaim
better to drain the box while its out mate.. its not hard to refill the box when its in the car..also alot cleaner with less mess when the box is drained allso less weight...best way to insure cross member and tail shaft will line up is to double check when everything is on the floor..IE Measure bellhousing to mount center etc recheck out put shaft splines..also may pay to check if the manual bellhousing bolts are the same as auto otherwise you may need new bolts..

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
You can fill thebox out of the car as follows

Install a spare talshaft yoke
fill the box with oil
Install box, everythingexcept tail shaft
lower the front of the car or jack up the rear then install the tail shaft

As for oil i suggest Castrol VMX80

When you align your cutch plate I use an old input shaft from a gearbox that way you get it dead centre.

got a gearbox mount? usuall a good idea to install a new one. Also I would suggest a rear seal on the gearbox

alsojust wondering, what are you doing for a speedo cable and gear? from memory they are different between gearboxes, i know for sure the speedo gear is.

cheers
Scott

jakbob

Lighten up.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I was told the speedo cable was the same between the two boxes. Makes sense as they're both australian boxes. The bloke I bought it from had just converted his vb back to an auto because he dislocated his shoulder. He was adamant that he'd given me everything I'd need to convert to a manual. He did seem to know what he was talking about, he gave a good explanation of how to do everything and so far his instructions for swapping the pedal box checked out.
He even had a little packet with all the flywheel bolts, belhousing bolts, even the rivets for putting the manual floor pan.
So I'm pretty certain I have everything I need except maybe the speedo cable. Worst comes to worst I'll have to use my gps as a speedo till I can sort it out. You weren't thinking of the Filipino box were you vkberlina? Just a thought. I'll drain the oil before I put it in and then refill it once its in. I've ordered a new mount, and the box was apparently rebuilt 5000k ago so hopefully it should be all good.
Cheers

jakbob

Lighten up.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok so I finished the conversion, took me all yesterday and the best part of today, but I'm glad I did it.
The tailshaft fit just fine, the cross member fit just fine, and the speedo cable fit just fine. I just have to compare the speedo to the gps to make sure its still accurate. So basically it seems everything is pretty much the same between the trimatic and the aussie 4 speed.
The hardest part was getting the old spigot bearing out of the end of the crankshaft so I could fit the spigot bush. A bit of grease and a big bolt soon fixed that though.
I lined up the clutch plate using a bit of steel machined in a lathe to the same dimensions as the input shaft, worked a treat.

Jedwards

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commie
sounds sweet mate, sorry for bringing up an old thread, but how did it end up like? The speedo was alright?
Also, where did you find your conversion kit from?
Thanks mann.