Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

tryin to drift

vpdood

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 vp berlina
jules said:
those cars are set up specifically for drifting and drifting only. altho the guy can obviously drive and i respect that, it doesn't apply to the real world where you just want to get a bit sideways. you can do it in an Exec with an open diff if you're skillful enough on the throttle.

i agree with jules. a drift car is hardley ever going in a straight line, nore will you find many of them on the roads. they are specially built for one purpose.

everything else you see on ur local roads is just what someone else refered to as powersliding, (fun but very dangerous in built up areas). the safest and prob most popular thing ppl do in their commys(or any RWD) is jus hit the throttle when going into a corner and pop the back out a lil. if you have nice hard suspension with super lows(.....like a friend of mine does) take the corner like normal, as you start your turn wack it in to 1st and floor it, the back will pop out and you will be sideways for a decent amount of time before shifting back up to second.(dont be fooled, this can be considered drifting, you drifted one corner, not a whole track)

if you can control your car you can hold it everytime, if you cant, keep practicing on ur own private drift track out the back of ur house which apparently so many ppl have, ahahah

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
i saw the movie on the thursday when it came out... it was pissing down with rain, saw people drifting in the car park that went to the movie, chose not to because of the fact i know my cars handling and in the wet its unpredicable, later saw a 180sx doing a nice drift... plenty of angle and speed...

RIGHT UP UNTILL HE HIT A POLE...

if you want to learn to drift, do it the right way, at a track or area where if u crash u wont kill someone else...

or lol watch the drift bible where they use the term "E-brake" (emergancy brake or something...

i saw a vn 5.0L do a nice drift in the wet, its not all about planting the foot, its about the correct acceleration... not just flooring it... if u do that you'r bound to loose control, its about being on the edge of control,

if u must on the street, practice with a u turn on a highway (atleast 2-3 lanes) see how long u can get the car sideways for... MAKESURE there is no traffic... this is probbly the safest way on the street, low speeds and plenty of room if you **** up...

going sideways at 80km 90 degreese up the road isnt fun... it was un-intentional aswell.. if your planing to do this please fit some decant sized tyres to the front...

they'res a BIG diffrence between loosing control and drifting, you'll hear a big clunk when you put your hand brake on, only ever done 1 drift that way, dosnt work well because u can accelerate during it because commodores are RWD... watch the drift bible it desribes how to drift in both FWD and RWD and even AWD

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5 spd/VR Calais daily driver
Yea drifting on the roads is dumb. That's why I saved for a track car. But yea if if you wanna get technical we should be calling it powersliding. Everyone uses the drifting term pretty loosely.. If you know your car well though, and it's pissing down with rain, it is possible to enter the corner sideways just from using the footbrake. Lol very dangerous on public roads especially if you're not experienced cos when you start to lose it most beginers natural reaction is to brake (which you might already be doing so you brake harder) which results in the car pointing the other way. :whistling

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
Actually, a properly controlled power-slide, is a form of drifting, it's a very basic one, but it's a good spot to start. There are more advanced techniques to get the car sideways, but a long and controlled power slide, is drifting.

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
yeah,, actually hit a patch of water today and ended up drifting un-intentionally... was able to control it without loosing speed and get the car back to going straight, its a useful skill to have to beable to get your self out of situations without making a ass of your self... or hitting something

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5 spd/VR Calais daily driver
PaRaDoX616 said:
yeah,, actually hit a patch of water today and ended up drifting un-intentionally... was able to control it without loosing speed and get the car back to going straight, its a useful skill to have to beable to get your self out of situations without making a ass of your self... or hitting something

I completly agree. I've been in a few situations where the car decided to step out against my will. If I hadn't been mucking round with the drifting stuff I'm sure I would have lost it. :whistling

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
It's a damn handy skill to have, the only problem is that there aren't that many places you can practice it legally.

Morgasshk

Morgasshk
Reaction score
Website
www.personaltradingpost.com.au
Members Ride
VY Exec 3.8L Sedan 9C1 Pack
get onto a driving training skid pan... learn to drive, know your car... If you don't know your car and it's faults and capabilities you will NEVER do good drifting/sliding/linelockies/skids whatever, you have to have trust, and if you wondering if you are going to plant it into a wall, oversteer into another car, end up ass-about facing oncoming traffic etc then you shouldn't be driving any car ESPECIALLY a commodore(because they are sexy and don't need to be ruinded!).

Best way I learnt is industrial estate, pre-development, 1klm square block of flat dirt... Seriously, if you are driving on dirt adn can't drift, you have got to be retarded... Drive roads, you will not get a stocko commodore drifting... sliding, skidding, yes, drifting, no...

And the movies? Are you shitting me? Stunt drivers, stunt performance cars etc... GOOD luck brother! :p