Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

trying to get into the mines, can anyone assist?

undersuspicion

Now That's How We Roll!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SV8 Series 2
Hey all,
I live in perth (WA), and i am currently seeking work in the mining industry. I am currently taking lessons to get my HR licence and was wondering if anyone could assist me gaining employment up at any mine site. I'm willing to take whatever is going whether it is as a T/A or a labourer. Wouldn't mind an apprenticeship either. So if anyone has any useful input or advice I would greatly appreciate it. (and yes I am over 18)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Get yourself registered with an employment agency, get your white card, maybe a working at heights ticket, and do a mines employment course. There is a mob down here in Bunbury that do courses but an employment agency will be your best bet. Try WorkPac or Hays.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
I know it's a pain in the ass to get in, and it's simply alot easier with someone you know already in there.

Some places online you can pay for and they get you into the mining industry, but it's a hit and miss I would say.

undersuspicion

Now That's How We Roll!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SV8 Series 2
cheers for the input fellas, will look into your suggested ideas in the new year.
still open for all information and input.

VZ_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I know it's a pain in the ass to get in, and it's simply alot easier with someone you know already in there.

Some places online you can pay for and they get you into the mining industry, but it's a hit and miss I would say.
Hahaha, what a scam, you pay someone to get a job? I hope your joking. To the op, like people have said try and get in with a recruitment place, try and get tickets. I would personally try for an apprenticship. Life in a pit is a lot more cruisy being a tradie

RIP 05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ sedan
NRW are looking for 500 people at the moment and EDI Downer (what was known as Roche Mining) are SERIOUSLY understaffed at Christmas Creek (FMG mine out of Newman) and looking for people. If you dont mind being a truckie (I mention this as you stated that you were looking for an apprentship, but get your foot in the door first and then look to move perhaps). Phone both of these companies.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
ill add to what 05 has said.
DOWNER are an absolutely Huge company. if you get in with them you would be set for life =P
im not so sure about the works side, but the i know that with the electrical side of them you can learn an absolute bucketload through them.

also as said above.
licences and tickets will help you get in.
aswell as experience in the field (or similar fields)

tickets i would suggest as a minimum
- Construction Industion
- EWP which includes the biggest booms available if possible (this includes scissor)
- First Aid (Lv2) its easy and wortwhile. not always required but would help
- any Mining Induction courses

also dont just pidgeon hole yourself into the mines side of things.
even if you can get a job with say downers that isnt in the mines for example still take it. as eventually you could be sent to the mines.
as i have said already. you can learn so much from them.

but goodluck

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Hahaha, what a scam, you pay someone to get a job? I hope your joking. To the op, like people have said try and get in with a recruitment place, try and get tickets. I would personally try for an apprenticship. Life in a pit is a lot more cruisy being a tradie

Believe it or not, people do it. Reason people pay is because how much they can/will earn.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
My boss knows the fleet manager of EDI Downer here in Victoria, as we service all there vehicles. The guys name is Dale, but i'm not sure if he would be able to help or not.

undersuspicion

Now That's How We Roll!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SV8 Series 2
Cheers for all the input fellas, have submitted a couple of job profiles to downer and nrw. I will try some recruiting/labour hire companies in the new year. If anyone else has any input I'm always open to suggestions and information!