Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Turbo Charge my Vy 'S'

Blue-Chip

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
muvro said:
G'day Lou,

Yeah I have been doing a SHITE load of homework. I just ended about 3 yrs of research on the L67 making up the inter cooler setup etc. Then when the piston let go (previous damage not from the last setup) it was time to get serious... LOL

Yeah I already have the cam. It's a custom ground cam. It's got a max valve lift of .574" and LSA is 115.8. Advertised duration is 274 degrees. All these are inlet figures. Ex is slightly different.

Yeah the turbo isn't set in concrete yet as I am going to wait till I port the heads and inlet manifold and get it all flow tested before I actually purchase the turbo. Also once it's all flow tested it wil give me more of an idea on what sort of hp I'll be able to aim for, making it easier in selecting the correct turbo. It's either going to be a GT35r or the TO4z.

Yeah gate duties wil be done with a Tial 44mm. I am just going to use a mech boost controller to get it all running. Then later I'll prolly invest in one of those E-boost 2 controllers.

Again not sure on the exact turbo specs yet. But I am pretty certain I'll be around the 1.0 mark. Although I do want it to have around 12-15 psi by 3k. SO I might have to go a .8 if it's too laggy. Either way it's going to have a huge stall in it.. LOL

I'll be making the ex manifolds etc. I haven't worked out the exact specs yet as there are a few other things to do before I get there. I'll also be making a custom upper inlet manifold ontop of the slightly ported and polished VX lower IM.

Thanks for the encouragement!!!

It's going to be a long road but I plan on driving my car from my wedding next year. So I have a fair bit of time up my sleeve to amek sure everything is going to be perfect!

Gotta help the old man first, and finish the race car we are restoring. Then it's full time on my car.

Thanks and I'll put up a thread on the build when I get stuck into it. Keep you updated!

Cheers

Tark

WIZZA..........:thumbsup:

Well it shows your knowledge on the subject...... :bang:

Before you mouth off, you might want to find out a little about the person you are mouthing off at first...

Also a little more reading and absorbing will take you further than useless posts like yours...

Don't like it don't comment unless you have something constructive to say!

Tark:whistling

G'day Tark,

I have heard a lot about your supercharger adapter plate and I am sorry to hear It's gone in the direction it has.
Regarding you turbo set up, it all sounds good, although when one looks at a
pressure map of a GT30, GT35, and a TO4Z in reality the pressure maps tell
me that when running a reliable boost pressure these turbo's are only running
in the 50 to 70% efficiency range, so really overkill unless used with a strategic
build plan.
The 44mm Tial gate KILLER unit.!!!!:w00t:
From my experience Tark a .63 turbine housing is fantastic on larger style
turbo manifold, say on a GT30, GT35 however with my own manifolds which
are fairly tight a .86 turbine housing is ideal with awesome throttle response
and no turbo lag what so ever. Just a bit of food for thought.
I have not had much to do with the e-boost controller so I cannot really
comment on it, the setup I am using for boost control on these PumpAction
Kits is all done through Kalmaker software using custom scripts specifically
written for this setup and setups alike
Boost is controlled on Air flow through a larger 75mm MAF which has extended
look up tables that go out to 512grams per second, this is enough air flow
metering for 400+ rear wheel horse power.
The way this works is as follows.
You have six tables in the software, from first gear to sixth gear.
On these tables in each gear you have Air flow vs rpm that have also been
extended to 8000 rpm from there original 6800.
Now to control boost all you need to do is tell the software at what airflow you wish to open your waste gate, allowing a separate boost level at all
the different RPM points. this allows you to run different boost level in each
gear as well as RPM, and best thing about this setup is that you can actually maintain lower levels of boost around maximum cylinder fill & cylinder pressures
generally where maximum torque occurs, which I feel is good insurance that you don't rattle you engine to death.
So like i said previously, keep up the good work and if there is anything that I
can help you with, just yell out on here or my own section or maybe even give us a call sometime as the quality of some conversation can be well
rewarding.

Cheers Lou.

muvro

TUFF 6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais S1 L67 A4
Thanks Lou,

You found a pressure map of a TO4z??? Could I be a pain and get a copy? I have been hunting one down since i started! LOL

Yeah my tuner is thinking the GT35 is the better option, he runs one on his Celica and runs 10.4s with it on the back of a 1j. He just got it upgraded to the bigger spec fron housing (can't remember the name of it off the top of my head). It's a killer machine, was on the front cover of Zoom mag not long ago.

Yeah there's no real strategic plan at the moment. Apart from making it a real quick car on the qtr. But still have some manners on the road. It's my fun car so factory driving qualities are definately not required, but it will have to be reliable. Hence doing the homework and doing it right the first time. ;) I want to run the turbo up to around the 25psi mark for qtr work but on teh street I'll keep it around 15. Lower if it's wet, too scetchy driving a car with grunt in teh wet...:unsure:

Yeah the turbo manifold is going to be another drama. I want to maintain airspeed but don't want to restrict it too much. I was thinking longer pipes at 1 5/8" or possibly 1 3/4". But i fear the 1 3/4 wil lbe to big to maintain airspeed. I was going to make each individual runner between 400-500mm long and have one of my custom made collectors with a 7-10 degree taper into either 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" seconry piping. Wher eit would go into another collector at again the 7-10 degree taper. where it would taper down to the size of the inlet of the housing. Just haven't worked out exactly what is needed. I'll probably go with the smaller size to maintain airspeed. But as said am concerned if it's going to be able to flow the hp... Might have to make it 1 3/4 out of the heads and then taper it down to 1 5/8 or 1 1/2 further down the primaries. All of the piping will be made from steam pipe and be cermaic coated then heat wrapped to keep the heat inside.

I've seen the pics of your manifolds..... WOW!!! Is all I can say!!! I have made sand cast mouldings before and know exactly how much work is involved in them.... Especially when there are cores to be made and clearances, allowances for shrinkage etc.... HUGE WORK!!! They are definately a piece of art!!! Well done on that! And best of luck with the development of it!!!

I take it you are running no bigger than a GT35r?

MMMM I'll keep the smaller housings in mind definaetly, I definately don't want this to be a "lag monster" as my mate loves to put it... hahaa

That boost controller sounds awesome!!! Pity I already splashed out and installed the EMS 8860. Or I may have seriously considered it!

Thank you very much for the offer and your advise!!!

When the time comes I may just give you a call...

Again,

Many thanks!

Tark

Blue-Chip

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
muvro said:
Thanks Lou,

You found a pressure map of a TO4z??? Could I be a pain and get a copy? I have been hunting one down since i started! LOL

Yeah my tuner is thinking the GT35 is the better option, he runs one on his Celica and runs 10.4s with it on the back of a 1j. He just got it upgraded to the bigger spec fron housing (can't remember the name of it off the top of my head). It's a killer machine, was on the front cover of Zoom mag not long ago.

Yeah there's no real strategic plan at the moment. Apart from making it a real quick car on the qtr. But still have some manners on the road. It's my fun car so factory driving qualities are definately not required, but it will have to be reliable. Hence doing the homework and doing it right the first time. ;) I want to run the turbo up to around the 25psi mark for qtr work but on teh street I'll keep it around 15. Lower if it's wet, too scetchy driving a car with grunt in teh wet...:unsure:

Yeah the turbo manifold is going to be another drama. I want to maintain airspeed but don't want to restrict it too much. I was thinking longer pipes at 1 5/8" or possibly 1 3/4". But i fear the 1 3/4 wil lbe to big to maintain airspeed. I was going to make each individual runner between 400-500mm long and have one of my custom made collectors with a 7-10 degree taper into either 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" seconry piping. Wher eit would go into another collector at again the 7-10 degree taper. where it would taper down to the size of the inlet of the housing. Just haven't worked out exactly what is needed. I'll probably go with the smaller size to maintain airspeed. But as said am concerned if it's going to be able to flow the hp... Might have to make it 1 3/4 out of the heads and then taper it down to 1 5/8 or 1 1/2 further down the primaries. All of the piping will be made from steam pipe and be cermaic coated then heat wrapped to keep the heat inside.

I've seen the pics of your manifolds..... WOW!!! Is all I can say!!! I have made sand cast mouldings before and know exactly how much work is involved in them.... Especially when there are cores to be made and clearances, allowances for shrinkage etc.... HUGE WORK!!! They are definately a piece of art!!! Well done on that! And best of luck with the development of it!!!

I take it you are running no bigger than a GT35r?

MMMM I'll keep the smaller housings in mind definaetly, I definately don't want this to be a "lag monster" as my mate loves to put it... hahaa

That boost controller sounds awesome!!! Pity I already splashed out and installed the EMS 8860. Or I may have seriously considered it!

Thank you very much for the offer and your advise!!!

When the time comes I may just give you a call...

Again,

Many thanks!

Tark

G'day Tark,

I think I have a good Idea of who you tuner may be if he is in Vic.
I shall have a hunt on the net for that pressure map as that is where i saw
it last time, but can't remember the site nor did I bookmark it.
My manifolds were quite involved as I had to make five separate core boxes to accommodate 6 runner slugs after trying to shape them as well as constantly
mocking them up on a VS & VT.
The cores were then bogged and blocked up with 6mm square blocks after fitting core prints and flanges. The task wasn't to bad till I finished up my master moulds, the real hassles started when i had to make the mould boxes
as they required at least a half dozed lose core boxes and multiple plane parting lines, that's when all the headaches started.
Anyhow I have now got successful castings of 18\8 304 stainless with a carbon content .035 low carbon.
The runners start @ 1 1/4 and tapper down to 1 inch before going into a merge trio collector, with an exit of 1 1/2 on both sides including the x-over.
The first Turbo that i am playing with is giving me a very good guideline of engine behavior, [gt30 600hp].
So at the moment I am just logging **** loads of engine management data, especially air flow and cylinder fill whilst playing with different valve spring tensions, exhaust housing and tappet clearance to establish the best combo.
This is a fine line and quite a balancing act between Lag and Reversion, but so far so good, with huge air flow numbers, so i got to say that i am not entirely convinced that bigger is always better.
The boost controll was an idea I had so that when i log airflow, i could correlate that to the power output on the Dyno graphs by means of Speed or RPM and would know @ what power or torque levels to control the waste gate with a pulse width modulated output signal.
The plan was to limit boost in first gear in the higher Rpm range to avoid
the engine bouncing on the rev limiter as well as limiting the boost in all
gears around it's peak cylinder pressure where max torque may occur or where the engine is accelerating fastest and then rewarding it for it's efforts
by giving it a good feed with the only thing on the menu being boost & fuel.
So Tark this is why i stick with delco coz many people don't realize how flexible this box is when combined with appropriate software.
Sorry about the long post mate, but sometimes you can't say what you wanna say with only a few words.:driving:

Cheers Lou.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
krawczuk said:
hi, as for pistons, even cast ones are fine, i used cast , running 15 psi (160kw@rear) all day everyday , everytime it got driven it got thrashed, lean out is the killer, not psi/..

mark k
Hey Mark,
i notice you said you were running 15 pound and making 160Kw at the treads. What sort of vehicle is this?

muvro

TUFF 6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais S1 L67 A4
Blue-Chip said:
G'day Tark,

I think I have a good Idea of who you tuner may be if he is in Vic.

Nah he's in NSW. Blue celica. Magic performance. He's also just brought out a turbo kit for the alloytech. It's in it's final stages now.

I shall have a hunt on the net for that pressure map as that is where i saw
it last time, but can't remember the site nor did I bookmark it.

Thanks heaps for that!!! Would be very much apreciated!!! I've searched high and low...

My manifolds were quite involved as I had to make five separate core boxes to accommodate 6 runner slugs after trying to shape them as well as constantly
mocking them up on a VS & VT.
The cores were then bogged and blocked up with 6mm square blocks after fitting core prints and flanges. The task wasn't to bad till I finished up my master moulds, the real hassles started when i had to make the mould boxes
as they required at least a half dozed lose core boxes and multiple plane parting lines, that's when all the headaches started.
Anyhow I have now got successful castings of 18\8 304 stainless with a carbon content .035 low carbon.

Awesome stuff!!! Yeah the joys of mating boxes together... hahah Trying to get the exact angle so the mould will release the plug perfectly without takign away from flow or aesthetics... It's amazing how quickly 200-300 hrs can be racked up and that's just the mould planning and construction. Can be very very frustrating at times!

The runners start @ 1 1/4 and tapper down to 1 inch before going into a merge trio collector, with an exit of 1 1/2 on both sides including the x-over.
The first Turbo that i am playing with is giving me a very good guideline of engine behavior, [gt30 600hp].
So at the moment I am just logging **** loads of engine management data, especially air flow and cylinder fill whilst playing with different valve spring tensions, exhaust housing and tappet clearance to establish the best combo.
This is a fine line and quite a balancing act between Lag and Reversion, but so far so good, with huge air flow numbers, so i got to say that i am not entirely convinced that bigger is always better.
The boost controll was an idea I had so that when i log airflow, i could correlate that to the power output on the Dyno graphs by means of Speed or RPM and would know @ what power or torque levels to control the waste gate with a pulse width modulated output signal.
The plan was to limit boost in first gear in the higher Rpm range to avoid
the engine bouncing on the rev limiter as well as limiting the boost in all
gears around it's peak cylinder pressure where max torque may occur or where the engine is accelerating fastest and then rewarding it for it's efforts
by giving it a good feed with the only thing on the menu being boost & fuel.

This sounds like the kit is going to be absolutely perfect!!! A big chocolate ckae with all the trimmings!!! Can't wait to see some results from this!

So Tark this is why i stick with delco coz many people don't realize how flexible this box is when combined with appropriate software.

Yeah the Delco is undoubtably a very strong performer and extremely flexible.

My reason for not sticking to it is Matt (my tuner) has his workshop (well it was, I have since moved around the corner now) 5 doors up from my workshop. I've seen his work. I believe find the tuner you want to use and trust, then go with what he's good at. That happeed to be the EMS. But given I was out near Dicks electronics I'd have definately taken my car there. But just didn't want to travel that distance if anything went wrong. too busy at work... LOL

Sorry about the long post mate, but sometimes you can't say what you wanna say with only a few words.:driving:

I know exactly what you mean! hahaha

Again, many thanks for your advise! Very much appreciated. I'm sure others can take a fair bit of it with them too.

Chat soon,

S

slammed_calais

i would have said closer to 15k, my mate has just finished putting a turbo stup on his eb falcon, did all of it himself, made the manifolds, did all the pipe work himself, has spent about 15k all up.

chunderlicious

tight ass
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE clubby A6
this is the point i was trying to make. it can be done for 20,000 bucks but it can and ive seen it done effectively for 6k with 250 at the wheels. this engine didnt last long as he was pushing 20 PSI but it was fun when it was there. he then baught a new engine as he blew a rod through the sump (nice blang, wheels locked up, transmission blown) and is running the same kit he made with 10PSI with no probs and has been for 2 months now

hinterland

commyvt
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Members Ride
vt sed turbo
giannetto said:
I just bought a vy S.

I want to turbocharge it. What sort of price am i looking at?

Im looking to spend no more then $6,000 on parts and labour for a full single turbo setup.

I dont need huge power gains.

How much do you think it would cost to do this and is it even possible?
hi
if your serious and want a neat reliable setup give me a pm as i could do the job for that sort of money as i have just about all the parts, there s/h but in exellent condition.i went for a full on system all new so hence the bits.
wayne

giannetto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black vy 'S'
For now my priorities have changed. I feel if i just save this money and upgrade in a years time to say a Monaro or GTO i will be much happier.lol

T

Tradewind

Its likely your Monaro or GTO will be damn site slower than a turbo V6 but I guess that's not an issue if chick pulling is number one :D