Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Two cylinders not firing

waffles666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive II v6 3.8L
Hi Guys,

I need a bit of help with a VS I'm trying to fix. Two cylinders are not firing (5 & 2), I initially thought this was an ignition coil issue and bought a new one but this didn't resolve the problem. I have confirmed that the spark plugs, leads and coils are fine and all three are fed from the one 12V connecter so that leads me to believe that the DFI is faulty.

Does anyone know a way to test the DFI? Also I have tested the pins below the coil that fires the none working cylinders and am getting 12V, would a faulty DFI still mean there would be power to the coil? Am I missing anything else that would cause just those two cylinders to not work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to buy another unnecessary part.

Regards Nick

Last edited:

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Have you removed the dfi? 2 13mm bolts underneath. remove the connector first. 8mm socket. Once it is out, look closely at the connectors for loose, bent or distorted. Clean the board with a soft brush then with electrical cleaner, do the same with both parts of the connector

waffles666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive II v6 3.8L
Thanks for the tips guys, checked the wiring and that was fine, bought a new DFI for $55 and its all fixed!

Damien78

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6
What is a DFI as I have same issue but with 3 and 6

VYSkiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S ute
Hey guys. Iv replaced the coils and the dfi and I still have the same issue, cylinders 2 and 5 are not firing
Checked plugs, leads, everything from the coil forwards. When I disconnect the plug leads from the coil there is no spark from that coil at all. Any ideas? Cheers

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Hey guys. Iv replaced the coils and the dfi and I still have the same issue, cylinders 2 and 5 are not firing
Checked plugs, leads, everything from the coil forwards. When I disconnect the plug leads from the coil there is no spark from that coil at all. Any ideas? Cheers
Have you swapped the coil with another to see if the problem follows that coil?

VYSkiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S ute
Have you swapped the coil with another to see if the problem follows that coil?
I have mate. It is just the middle coil. I've unplugged the middle coil when the car is running and there are no sparks jumping from the terminal to the leed