Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre advice - 2011 VE Series 2 SS Sportwagon

lagavulin63

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS Sportwagon
I have a 2011 VE SS Sportwagon with Yokohama S221 tyres on it that need replacing after 30k. In my area we have Beaurepaires or Tyrepower. I've been told that Good Year F1 or Falken 452 tyres are good. Tyrepower seems to stock Kumho and Toyo tyres. I am looking for good quality tyres that are a good mix of performance and durability and I promise to rotate the next set frequently. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Ron91

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Wagon
I had toyo on my ssv tyres. Honestly worst tyres I've ever had!

Kumho is good but softer so wears a bit quicker.
I've recently put falken 722's on my pentagons and 10,000kms later they are very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SSVSE

Reaction score
Members Ride
my10 SSV SE L76
x2 for the Falkens , v good and quiet

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
We got 54000kms out of our Yoko's(heaps nosiy at end of like) highway km's.

Falken 452's a old now 453 is current tyre(never tried them) I've also got falken 722's on and they seem great

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I have the same car as you, do 1000-1500 a week on average so been through a few sets over recent years: the best tyres for the rear are Sumitomo HTR - so fricken good that I was obsessed with them at first, on country road trips I remember lying awake in motels wondering where's the catch...
To me they even smell right... I have no idea what makes some new Asian Tyres I've tried stink up the garage like recycled vulcanized crap, but it is enough to freak out my cat and it ain't there with a quality compound like the HTR.
Price is similar to cheap stinky stamped-out Taiwanese / Vietnamese rings made from waste byproduct but what astounds is the Japanese quality and attention to detail here - ticks all the boxes technically, looks great and most importantly grip and wear characteristics are ideal for the rear on our v8 wagon at 45psi.
Typical Japanese quality control - air freighted next day to my local tyre shop and a leap above most Kuhmos (I love kuhmo for value so put up with the roar previously).
These High Tech Radials are simply outstanding tyres for the money.
I suggest Sumitomo HTR 255/40-19 on the rear and Kuhmo KU19 245/40-19 for the front (no, this model doesn't roar and is the pick of big hire car companies). If you need to rotate then get all sumitomo HTR, pay the extra to gas up with Nitrogen.
Sumitomo also have a 60,000k service guarantee just not on these particular low profile top speed rated HTRs but driven mercilessly will still see you in the Bridgestone ballpark without undue noise and really good grip.

Last edited:

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
PIR4TE..

Great feedback there,i still have the fitted as new and very good(yet seriously pricey)Potenza's on mine and am not due as yet for a change( but wont be replacing with same boots at $500+ a corner that's for sure),my query is the mix of kumho fronts and sumi rears? personal preference? you don't bother rotating due to high kilometres travelled?
ive had kumho's in the past,also reckon they are a great tyre for the dough..just curious re the mix,although im sure other than the issue with rotation aspect this works well given your experiences.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
^^ Yes Kuhmos are great but they don't make a KU19 in 255/40 and Sumitomo are better for launch and road noise and suit the stock rear rim.
I only use asymmetric tyres, so front / rear swap is the only option, but main points for optimizing effectiveness and longevity is installing the right tyre for the axle and setting alignment for the job. This outweighs (and is contrary to) the principle of sharing front/rear wear characteristics.
Carrying a load in a two tonne sportwagon on unrestricted roads in 45° heat can eat a set of tyres in less than a week... 6000k... rotation doesn't matter nearly as much as precise loaded alignment and no risk nitrogen inflation.

Calais-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, VE Calais-V Series II
I'm currently running kumho ku39s on the rear and there has been a massive difference with traction and control of the car in comparison with RE05s. Also at $265 a tyre they were rather cheap, I'm thoroughly impressed with these tyres at the moment, since fitting them my traction control hasn't come on once when giving the car a boot in a straight line.

I have also heard that the you could get more useable life out of the KU31 but apparently they are a slightly harder compound tyre.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
^^yes KU31 cheaper, much better wearing same grip more noise.