Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ultimate alloytec failure...

Dz811

Just some p-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
To all who own vz commodores with alloytecs.

Sv6 or not, before you spend any hard-earned dollars on your car, hear me out.

You are throwing your money at a brick wall.

Unless you're forking out 12k plus on a turbo kit (maybe a supercharger if you swing that way), the things are a waste of time modifying.

There are probably plenty of good stories too, but here's mine.

When I bought my car, I could time a 0-100 at around 7.2-7.3 seconds. Ran a 400m of 15.2. Which I was very impressed with.

Then I spent more painful dollars on a CAI, a catback exhaust and manifold insulators, then I had the car tuned and the clutch replaced to a solid flywheel exedy heavy duty. Car ran a 15.1... 0.1 of a second difference...
As you could imagine, I was a little disappointed...

So, in natural "I'm not giving up yet" style, I forked out yet more money... New coils, new injectors, all new oxygen sensors and intake pipe, 20% underdrive pulley, topped off with a cpr6 manifold (with the manifold insulators still under it).
And guess what the dyno figure was after yet another tune..... 120.6rwkw.... The guys tell me it reads low... So I take it for a drive... It feels exactly the same, and I mean I could time a 0-100 and still not even break 7 secs... WTF!? The motor is fine, no sludge, no wear. The Alloytec is, even though I love it, absolute crap. And I have to sit here with near 10k in receipts and nothing at all to show for it...

Call me a traitor, but I hate these misleading advertisements of extra power and economy, it's all a load of bollocks... And I've had my car for 3 years, always babied it, oil and filters every 5k. All the guys on here that sound that annoying "just go buy a v8" chime... Are probably not far off... So save yourself the heartbreak, and leave it the hell alone. Coz it'll drive you mad, and probably empty your pocket.

P.s. If anybody knows wtf is wrong with my car, for gods sake tell me...

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
I hate to say it, but you can get superchargers for the Alloytec for around the 6k mark. I noticed a good improvement with a full exhaust system (well highly modified stock system and slowly spreading my cats around Darwin).

The alloytecs have so much room for improvement, their biggest limiting factor is how 'new' they are. You can buy performance parts for the Ecotec easily because they have been around for a good deal of time now.

As it is, it was only recently that the BCM was cracked and you can now use stuff like VCM Suite to tune the engine yourself. The CPR6 is still fairly new too. Give it enough time and you will get cheap, and effective performance mods that bolt on. Or maybe even better internal (though they look pretty good as standard if you ask me).

EDIT: I am not trolling or anything, merely pointing out that the engine is still very new and patience is required.

Buckd1ch

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SV6 A6
Mate id be having a long hard look at the workshop/tuner that dealt with your car. Its wrong that they would know how much cash you have thrown at it and for them just to.say the dyno reads.low is a **** excuse. Have they taken a reasonable amount of time to troubleshoot at all do you think?. I know dyno numbers mean nothing. But 0-100's and 1/4 miles dont lie.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
a CAI, a catback exhaust and manifold insulators, then I had the car tuned and the clutch replaced to a solid flywheel exedy heavy duty. New coils, new injectors, all new oxygen sensors and intake pipe, 20% underdrive pulley, topped off with a cpr6 manifold (with the manifold insulators still under it).

And I have to sit here with near 10k in receipts and nothing at all to show for it...

If you paid damn near $10k for that list, you need to shoot somebody.

None of those mods (with the exception of the tune) are going to do much. The manifold, CAI, intake piping, and exhaust will help with breathing, once you give it a reason to breathe more, cam or boost of some kind.

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
shouldve just got diff gears and saved youself a whole heap of cash, if you wanted better acceleration.

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
the VCM software has been out for a number of years, and CPR6 also... there is not much in the way of performance parts for the alloytec if your on a tight budget. Depending on what you want to achieve will control what you modify. If your chasing <15 Seconds down the 1/4 Tune, Diff Gears and the right setup/Driver combo might see you there, along with all the usual crapola, exhaust, bigger tyres etc...

The alloytec is a reasonable car in my opinion.
Have a look at the VT - VY series. 15.7+ on the 1/4.. alloytec stock <15.5
I can get 550 - 650 km per tank in heavy city traffic.
with stiffened suspension and the right tyres they hook in around mountains, have seen a few Blown early model commodores struggling to keep up through the mountains.

However, lets face it... they arent a Lamborghini Gallardo, Aston Martin, Porsche 911t.. They arent designed for the Top Gear test track. They are a family Sedan. But i bet my left nut i can get one around the Top Gear Test Track quickly enough!

Oh and lmao at the Mace Spacers... they are equivalent to a turbo in power... if your not running arctic temps at the intake after those puppies there is drastically something wrong

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
What I mean by they havent been around long is compared to most engines

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
are you in a auto or manual

you will need cams and porting to make power

or you can boost

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
Cams used to be $450 each, prob still the same.. the only car i know to have cams is the CPR6 Ute, along with a fully worked engine...