Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Un-Lowering a VZ???? Anyone done it?

EQUIPED

AM VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equipe 2005
hey guys, my family is on a warpath with the current ride being very bumpy :bang:. I guess it is the combination of lowered Monroe springs + FE2 suspension.

Can't afford to buy a new car but want to make the ride comfy like normal cars even though it sacrifices the handling :cry: Has anyone increased the ride height or 'un-lowered' theirs? How much would it cost all up? I would prefer buying 2nd hand springs to save cost unless newer ones are not that expensive.

Any suggestions / ideas are much appreciated.

Cheers

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
must just be the springs, mum has a stock standard VZ Equipe and its extremely comfortable. Your family are probably feeling it react more because of more weight in the car.

Go back to normal springs with the FE2 :thumbsup: Of course you can always start changing everything, go to FE 1.5 springs (aka calais) or the standard shockies as well, but the springs would be the place to start.

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
Tyre profile has a lot to do with it also.Looks like you run a 235/45/17 maybe go to a 225/50/17 and it might help.Cheapest option would be to go to a wrecker and get some stock spring and try that.Shouldnt cost alot.

EQUIPED

AM VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equipe 2005
Thanks Torquative. I should start looking out for stock springs. I have been in cars with FE2 with stock springs and they seem pretty comfortable.

Ado - you are right...I run 235/45/17. Would 225/50/17 fit?

Cheers

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
Tyre profile has a lot to do with it also.Looks like you run a 235/45/17 maybe go to a 225/50/17 and it might help.Cheapest option would be to go to a wrecker and get some stock spring and try that.Shouldnt cost alot.

The difference in size between the 225/50/17 and the 235/45/17 would be that marginal, that I wouldn't put emphasis on this being a huge factor. It may be a 1 or 2% factor, but its that minor size difference in the sidewall, that I wouldn't get carried away with it.

I would rather put better quality premium touring type tyres on which are designed to be more comfortable. I did alot of research in tyres and whether or not to change from 235/45/17 and go to 225/50/17 as I use my VZ Calais daily and wanted the most compliant ride. After much research and doing my sums and reading tyre reviews and really putting alot of time into it. I went towards keeping the 235/45/17 as I like that wider rubber on the road for safety, but I went for a comfort tyre (ie touring tyre as the Europeans call them for Autobahns in their E-class Mercs and Audi's etc).

I chose Michelin Primacy HP in 235/45/17 and my car is phenomenally smooth and quiet when riding on them. My car is factory spec VZ Calais with 1.5 sport/luxury suspension. The ride is comfortable yet also handles very well.

235/45/17 vs 225/50/17;

Total Height Difference is: 1.35cm (13.5mm)

So that means that the side wall height difference is: 6.75mm

EQUIPED

AM VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equipe 2005
I chose Michelin Primacy HP in 235/45/17 and my car is phenomenally smooth and quiet when riding on them. My car is factory spec VZ Calais with 1.5 sport/luxury suspension. The ride is comfortable yet also handles very well.

235/45/17 vs 225/50/17;

Total Height Difference is: 1.35cm (13.5mm)

So that means that the side wall height difference is: 6.75mm

hmmm...am very happy with my current tyres as they are extremely quiet and smooth too. It's the bumps felt within the cabin thats keeping my family unhappy. Would you say, it's logical to look at changing the springs then? The other thing in your Calais' favour is the 1.5 sport/luxury suspension. I have trialled those and they are certainly softer and I wish I had those :dance:

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
drop your tyre pressures if they are high. As low as ~34psi shouldn't be an issue on 17s.

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
hmmm...am very happy with my current tyres as they are extremely quiet and smooth too. It's the bumps felt within the cabin thats keeping my family unhappy. Would you say, it's logical to look at changing the springs then? The other thing in your Calais' favour is the 1.5 sport/luxury suspension. I have trialled those and they are certainly softer and I wish I had those :dance:

In your situation I would change the springs to original FE2 and see how that goes. Go to Holden and price them. Holden Genuine FE2 Springs are pretty reasonably priced. My last 4 cars have had full Holden FE2 suspension all round including my VS V6 S Pack, VL Formula Turbo, VL Calais Turbo and now my VL Berlina Turbo. I find FE2 to be very compliant but it definetely is firmer than having standard height/rate springs.

So try changing to FE2 Holden Springs or equivalent and even check your shocks to make sure they are still in good condition, but I wouldn't bother trying to put FE1.5 in as I believe if your family are that sensitive to the bumps and want a smooth ride, then you may have to bite the bullet and go back to standard. Understandably it won't ride as nice in your opinion, but if the family wants the softest most compliant ride, then maybe back to stock it is.

Try your local Holden dealer or check this link below;

http://www.nvu.com.au/products_show.php?page=1&cat=5

Goodluck :)

EQUIPED

AM VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equipe 2005
drop your tyre pressures if they are high. As low as ~34psi shouldn't be an issue on 17s.

interesting thought...as I keep pressure at 42 all round. Will try reducing to 34 first and see how much of an improvement it is :) Thanks