Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Un-Restricting Air Box?

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
you run into velocity problems with air flow the bell mouth. which works as a venturi it is there to actually speed up the air flow through the long assed pipe to the throttlebody. take it away and you are actually losing air flow to the engine. its not as noticable on a car engine but went through this execise with quad bike engines. try my answer out on a dyno so time and then tell me i'm wrong

I have my car on a dyno all the time trying new things, i never noticed any backward steps in performance with increasing airbox opening?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Cheers REV . I think i'll give something similar a go, if you said you havent ever lost power i figure i may as well give it a go.

VSSECO

Underdog rebuild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS - 6 pots, 5 cogs
My first air box mod looked something like this

Attachments

• Custom Air Box.jpg
    Custom Air Box.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 142

VSSECO

Underdog rebuild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS - 6 pots, 5 cogs
It needs to be done in conjunction with a bunch of other intake mods, and it is only for a modest gain but, yes. I used to use this air box lid on my old VN and I was more than happy to switch it over to the VS when I got my first one. Since then I've taken it to the next level... I won't be showing my next air box though sorry.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sounds good mate, i'm planning on adding another 40mm intake pipe coming from behind the front bar as well as the s/c cai, so hopefully with the airbox lid and my k&n filter i will get a bit more power or a bit more throttle response or something

vpcalais6

F#%ING [P] PLATER
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
V6 manual vp Calais
i seen you where planing on making a cai coming from behind your front bar so i thought i would throw up some pics of mine i did yesterday

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looks like your getting a heap of air there mate, how much did it cost you all up?
Do you have some sort of provision in place to stop the car flooding >> if you went through a big puddle?
Cheers.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not at all?
I thought if you went through a massive puddle or wer driving in the rain for a few hours, you could get a decent gulp of water up there