Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Unable to link ECM

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi all,

I am having problems linking a replacement ECM in my 5.7L SS ute project and need a bit of advice/sounding board to resolve the problem.

Background. The project involves transplanting the engine and gearbox from a written off VY ute into a VZ SS rolling shell. The shell had been stripped of the motor, gearbox, radiator and ECM. We ripped the engine and box from the VY - spruced her up a bit with some go fast parts and transplanted it into the VZ shell. A refurbished ECM was purchased from LS Extreme that is supposed to be matched to the VZ VIN.

To link the BCM/PCM to the ECM we purchased a PCXNano - it couldn't detect any modules in the car at all. After stuffing around for a couple of weeks with the supplier it was returned for a full refund. We also tried linking them with a SnapOn scan tool - the hard drive died as we were scanning for trouble codes. We have since purchased a second hand Ultrascan Plus and have been able to scan the beast and interact with all of the modules; less the ECM. We have performed a BCM link that has been reported as successful on the scan tool - but hasn't worked; ie, can't see the module or start the beast. All of the other systems are in working order and have been tested by individual component actuation using the UltraScan

So the million dollar question is where to now?

My assumption was that the ECM was already programmed from LS Extreme so should have been plug and play. I have tried to get in contact with LS Extreme but it seems the COVID lockdown in the south has them out of the picture. Can anyone shed some light on my assumption - should it plug and play?

Suffice to say I am pretty frustrated and while owning a quality professional scan tool is a good thing for my workshop it hasn't resolved my problem. I am working on borrowing the Snapon tool again to see if I have some success with that but it is in a commercial workshop so I have to work in with the owner.

I am tempted to purchase (or borrow if anyone is close to Murrumbateman) a BCM/PCM/ECM from a running VZ and see if I can get it working that way. If I have no success I can then focus on harnesses etc. If successful - I guess I will have to chat with LS Extreme.

Any other recommendations/thoughts on how to go about resolving this one?

Cheers n Beers

Jolls

Last edited:

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Update for anyone who finds this in the future

I had a call from LS Extreme today. When they provide you with an ECM it is already programmed to the VIN and the security has been removed. So, as long as the original BCM and PCM are in the vehicle it should be plug and play. They advised that they are all bench tested and functioning when they depart Ballarat. So no need for a Tech 2, or any Scan Tool for that matter, it should be plug in and start the beast. (I certainly won't be letting the Minister for War and Finances know that the Scan Tool wasn't required though - too good a tool to let go)

LS Extreme were very helpful and have me honed in on the areas to look at. Given everything else is working the first step is to follow the harness and check all of the connections - then pin it out if that doesn't work. I'm sure there are a couple of earth points to check along the way; from memory one at the front of the driver's side head and one at the rear of the passengers side head.

Constant rain here now and predicted for the weekend. I have spent the day sorting out electrical gremlins in a smokehouse and cold storage place so I'm not venturing out into the cold to fault find today. Fire is stoked, beer is in hand, and the footy will be on later tonight - I'm dug in.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi All,

To close out this thread - the beast is alive. She coughed on the first turn of the key, spluttered on the second and ran on the third. The cam sounds great (can't run her down the road yet) but one of the cats has a hole in it - so a bit of welding to do in the short term.

So what was the problem - after all the dicking around - a dodgy connection between the PIM and the ECM. When we pinned out the blue connector against the outputs we should have been getting there was no constant power feed from the battery to the pin 19. Replaced the harness and all was gold.

The ECM provided by LSExtreme was coded to the VIN, there they advised that there was no security so once we plugged the ECM back in we were able to see the module immediately on the scan tool and test the actuators. The fans did not run and there is a code for the accelerator pedal so we need to work on those two - but after the checks we simply turned the key three times and away it went.

Now to fix the minor gremlins, get her in for a MAFless tune. Once we have her on the road and all of the go fast bits are operating to their potential we will start of the makeover. We intend to turn her from an ugly brush painted work beast into the fastest quote ute in town. Easy to say - we will see how she turns out.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls