Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

unknown coolant leak

98NVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L VS Commodore/Raptor supercharger
I don't know what the hell is going on but when I drive my car for approx 20minutes then stop my car leaks coolant. its not coming anywhere from the radiator or hoses its leaking down from the oil sump. which means its leaking from up top somewhere. I can't find where the leaks coming from. is there any common problems on where coolant leaks from

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Not the heater line's?

Or the bottom of the water pump?

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
More than likely the water pump is dying. There is a hole for the pump bearing that leaks coolant when its rooted. Some pumps become noisey and flog out the bearing, others die a quiet death and simply spit coolant out.

My 5L's water pump is currently dying a slow death. and its leaking just as you describe. I even went in there and tightened all hose clamps and inspected the witness marks of the coolant. Its fine to drive, i just keep topping the coolant up lol. Got a new pump but cbf putting it in atm

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
Grab your heater tap (Above the drivers side chassis rail) and give it a firm wiggle on all the hoses going to it (4 of them) .. its plastic and perishes after time... chances are, it's cracked and when you wiggle it, it will snap/disintegrate in your hand... (Better it happen in your hand, and not whilst driving)

Cheap to replace... bursons, autobahn, repco, supercheap....

That is... if its that..

Otherwise, have you checked your rear main housing?

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
GTP 85 has hit the nail on the head, my water pump did exactly the same thing, started leaving pools of coolant under the car whenever I stopped anywhere. I could see it was leaking off of the sump but could not figure out where it was coming from.
Run your finger around the bottom of the water pump and look for coolant.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Could be water pump, or it could even be the valley cover gasket.