Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Unleaded vs Premium unleaded

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
In my opinion it doesnt cost more at all....you save money in the short term because of the increase in fuel economy. If standard is $1.30 then for 50L it will cost me $65. If BP Ultimate is $1.40 then it will cost $70. But for that extra $5 i would normally get an extra 50km out of a tank. My car does around 14L per 100km...so that 50km is worth 7L of petrol which would cost me $9.10 at the servo for standard unleaded.

Therefore I come out on top by $4.10 per 50L of petrol at the current prices when I use BP Ultimate instead of Standard Unleaded.

Then you have the long term gains as well because its better for your engine.

B

big_c_43

Is there any difference between BP Ultimate and Shell Optimax and other Petrol stations premium unleadeds?

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
big_c_43 said:
Is there any difference between BP Ultimate and Shell Optimax and other Petrol stations premium unleadeds?
Last year I worked in geelong and travelled there daily from melbourne.The trip was mainly freeway driving.I experimented with different grades of premium fuels
like optimax,bp ultimate mobil syn 8000.I found I got better mileage using bp ultimate.One trip I nearly got 900km out of a tank of bp ultimate.I list Bp ultimate first,mobil syn 8000 second and shell optimax third.

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
big_c_43 said:

Problem with Optimax is that the octane level drops. Never had a good experience with optimax, but some people swear by it.

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
ive used premium in my vx, even driving it nicely for the whole talk i dont think it gave me an economy difference worth the 5-10cpl it did make a tiny little perforance diff but nothing worth bosting about.

is it true that optimax has some form of wax in it?

trepaul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 308
the main difference is the higher octane rating, obviously. the higher the octane rating, the denser the fuel which contains more energy. also, fuel with a higher octane rating can handle compression better, which allows you to run a higher compression, and more power, without fuel detonation

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
so then unless your using to to keep your engine clean a commy doesnt need any more then 92 with the compresion of 8 or 8.5, 10 or 11 though, likes high octain but still runs standard unleaded fine

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
shiatan said:
if he converted it to unleaded, then you shouldn't need additives.......

converting to unleaded usually only involves hardening the valves and/or valve seats. Trouble is, leaded fuel had a 97RON and normal unleaded has a 91RON. Leaded cars wont like using the unleaded fuel as much due to the fact theyre tuned to run on 97RON

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Ripcell said:
ive used premium in my vx, even driving it nicely for the whole talk i dont think it gave me an economy difference worth the 5-10cpl it did make a tiny little perforance diff but nothing worth bosting about.

is it true that optimax has some form of wax in it?

It's more likea gum, the fuel tend's to leave a lining, found this out after using it in my bike's and pulled one down, only thing i could put it down to was the optimax, changed fuel did anothe rpull down all was fine...was weird.

Nobody Actually

luxo barge
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 wm Caprice
semi said:
converting to unleaded usually only involves hardening the valves and/or valve seats. Trouble is, leaded fuel had a 97RON and normal unleaded has a 91RON. Leaded cars wont like using the unleaded fuel as much due to the fact theyre tuned to run on 97RON

fair enough semi, i wasn't aware there was such a big difference, thanks