Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Unlock horn

variable

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve
Gday I use a spare metal key (surf key) to unlock my VE at the beach, but that starts the horn beeping short beeps initially, then long beeps, until I can get the proper key in to the ignition.

Is there any way to stop the horn beeping, even just the first few short beeps, as it upsets the neighbours! Maybe a software setting or soldering iron fix please?

Failing that, if I disconnect the horn completely will that upset the computer?

Thanks.

Titleist

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE s2 SSV
doesn't sticking the key in the ignition and turning it to ACC or ON , stop the horn ?

disconnecting the horn , don't be silly....

ssvvan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII SSV Ute with Sandman canopy
Must need the chip in the proper key to turn off the alarm. Makes sense I guess but a pain in the butt for your situation.

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
The problem you have is this.

The key you are using is not deactivating the alarm. Your factory key does this for you when pressing the unlock button. The alarm is built into the car from factory and I believe it cannot be removed. The sound of the horn blaring out is the alarm is being triggered.

I would suggest taking the original key with you perhaps in a sealed plastic pocket like those mum used to put your lunches in. That should keep the water out.

Disconnecting the horn would be incredibly silly and is also a roadworthy issue for your car if you get pulled up. You may be able to get the alarm permanently deactivated by Holden but that could also have insurance related issues not to mention making your car easier to steal.

Gday I use a spare metal key (surf key) to unlock my VE at the beach, but that starts the horn beeping short beeps initially, then long beeps, until I can get the proper key in to the ignition.

Is there any way to stop the horn beeping, even just the first few short beeps, as it upsets the neighbours! Maybe a software setting or soldering iron fix please?

Failing that, if I disconnect the horn completely will that upset the computer?

Thanks.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I would suggest taking the original key with you perhaps in a sealed plastic pocket like those mum used to put your lunches in. That should keep the water out.
I wouldn't trust a zip lock bag out in the surf to protect your $300 (??) factory key from water.

I'd just go the beeps and p1ss the neighbours off for a few seconds.

Otherwise, you could add a toggle switch on the active lead to the horn that you deactivate when you are "surfing" only. Easy