Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrading to VY

Sphector89

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 Vx Berlina
I have a Vx Berlina and im kinda bored of it now and am thinking of upgrading to a VY Calais but im stuck on whether to get a V6 one soon or wait and get a V8. My friend has a VY SS and he says fuel isn't bad but another friend with a V6 VY says it chews up fuel. Just some thoughts would be nice and what would a Vy calais set me back? 7k+?? i would like a black one and i have some ve SSV's i would chuck on it. Amount of K's doesn't really bother me but would effect the price i Guess

MRNICK

LS1 LOVE
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenowners.com
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
If you have the option...always go the V8. The excitement you get from the V8 will far outweigh the cost of fuel.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
I was worried that my V8 statesman would go through petrol but it isn't really that bad, that is until you put your foot down.

They just glide down the freeway and on the open road the LS1's are pretty efficient. mine averages 12L/100k's on the highway and that's hauling around a big WK.

The gains outweigh the fuel usage, and if it's going to be a daily you'll love the extra power for overtaking and such.

M100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim wagon
Do you guys think the vys are really dated now? Or they still have some life left in them?

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
IMHO - the VY/VZ (especially in Calais Trim) with decent wheels and tinted windows look much better than the VE.
Now, I know I'm biased, but you did ask in a VY Forum ;)

thatbrynguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Commodore SS 5.7L M6
Go for the VY V8. You'll love it. Having had both a VY V6 and VY V8 my opinion is that the V6 is thirstier than it should be for relatively poor power. The V8 uses what I'd expect a V8 to use but it goes when you want it to. If you're looking at Calais and aren't prepared to go for the V8, at least go for a good condition Supercharged V6. Going from VX Berlina to a VY V6 Calais isn't going to excite you a great deal if you're bored with the Berlina.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
What ever you decide to go with get the V8 option it will have you smiling a lot even when your broke too trust me.

DECIMATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Yea nothing beats hitting the key in a V8 with a full exhaust. The LS1 is a great engine too, there is heaps of options to modify and almost every tunner and mechanic knows a LS1 like the back of their hand.

Like a few of the boys have said already, the reason you want to upgrade is because you are bored with the current car. So go buy something exciting and join the LS club with a smile!!

u5atevar.jpg

ehyquryd.jpg

5utupu9y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Do you guys think the vys are really dated now? Or they still have some life left in them?

All the ls engines you get in holdens are dated lol. Not a bad thing though, simple single cam pushrod engines makes for cheap upgrades for the future if you get bored. They have been modified time and time again so the info on them is endless.

Also diff and suspension components are cheap as nowdays for vt - vz.