Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Urgent Help needed - LS1 Auto Problems

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Pretty much. They are only good for quick launches and won't destroy the transmission in the event that you decide to do another skid. I wouldn't bother unless you want to regularly race it.

Nanos

Not a Mod
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII LS1 Berlina Wagon
When mine blew last month i had it rebuilt strong and added a stally. its only a baby stally nothing huge. think its a 2200rpm.

cant really notice it at all. its not a pig to drive and it does takeoff much better.

i would recomend it to anyone. was well worth it. Get the auto place you take it too to suggest a few things and ask plenty of questions.

Im happy with what i got done. Box is strong and goes much better

buggzy

Reaction score
anyone know what parts are required to convert to manual??
and is a T56 the right gearbox?

Pedals, clutch slave, computer? gearbox, clutch, etc..

what else?? tailshaft the same?
can you use an auto computer?

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
Pretty much. They are only good for quick launches and won't destroy the transmission in the event that you decide to do another skid. I wouldn't bother unless you want to regularly race it.

WTF ?

have you two even owned a car with a stally ?
mine has a baby 2800 lock up stall and has improved the way the car drives 100%.

by far the best mod ive done to my LS1 and ive done over 90k's with mine fitted

4L60E without a stally is pointless IMO

buggzy

Reaction score
WTF ?

have you two even owned a car with a stally ?
mine has a baby 2800 lock up stall and has improved the way the car drives 100%.

by far the best mod ive done to my LS1 and ive done over 90k's with mine fitted

4L60E without a stally is pointless IMO

whats the point of a stally? and what will it improove? how will it effect driving the car daily around town etc..??

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
The correct name for a Stallie is a Torque convertor..........They can be configured to multiply the engine output torque in different ways within the same stall speed. Even better, raise the stall speed and it multiplies torque at a point higher in the rev range (where most combos make more power) and can do a better job. I fitted one to my 4L60E not long ago and it has really improved the power output substantially without affecting economy.

buggzy

Reaction score
The correct name for a Stallie is a Torque convertor..........They can be configured to multiply the engine output torque in different ways within the same stall speed. Even better, raise the stall speed and it multiplies torque at a point higher in the rev range (where most combos make more power) and can do a better job. I fitted one to my 4L60E not long ago and it has really improved the power output substantially without affecting economy.
what size or type is yours mate? and how has it changed the drivign experience just casually driving aorund town?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
haha, some people are so scared of the word stallie...they just got no idea.
they're fantastic when the right one is picked for your application and almost essential when there's a cam in the mix. in the majority cases they'll make the car MORE drivable, not turn them into the unfriendly street pigs that so many people think they'll become.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Stally...AKA Stall Converter, what it does is increase the engine RPM without loading up the engine. Sort of like revving a manual with the clutch in, except that once it reaches it's stall limit, (the revs the engine gets to before the converter starts to transmit power to the wheels), it will pre load the transmission so it doesn't slam into gear when the accelerator is floored.

OLS108, you should really know what a stall converter does and why it is fitted before you open your mouth. If you drive a car without the need to push the accelerator through the floor every time, a standard torque converter is fine. If you think you need a "stally" to drive the car, learn how to drive. Or get a manual. Hang on....if you need a stally, you don't know how to drive a manual.

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
Stally...AKA Stall Converter, what it does is increase the engine RPM without loading up the engine. Sort of like revving a manual with the clutch in, except that once it reaches it's stall limit, (the revs the engine gets to before the converter starts to transmit power to the wheels), it will pre load the transmission so it doesn't slam into gear when the accelerator is floored.

OLS108, you should really know what a stall converter does and why it is fitted before you open your mouth. If you drive a car without the need to push the accelerator through the floor every time, a standard torque converter is fine. If you think you need a "stally" to drive the car, learn how to drive. Or get a manual. Hang on....if you need a stally, you don't know how to drive a manual.

so your telling me with a 232.234.112 cam, i can drive an auto without a bigger stall ?

yeah i know nothing about cars:p