Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Urgent help needed!!!!!!!! Running on 5 cylinders.....

vxcustom

VXXX
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx v6 executive
Okay I desperately need to borrow an overhead valve spring compressor such as KINCROME Tools & Equipment - Product Catalogue ASAP. I think (though not a hundred percent sure) that the valve stem seals on number two cylinder are stuffed as the car runs on 5 cylinders at anything more than light throttle and is fouling up the number two spark plug. The car is also using up a very large amount of oil. I have just been retrenched so money is really tight and its either the valve stem seals or rings and I am hoping to be able to however I need the car going. I am hoping that someone here has an overhead valve spring compressor I may be able to borrow (I really dont want to have to buy one for a one time use) as I have 2 new valve stem seals and a new rocker cover gasket just sitting there. If any one can help it would be most appreciated :)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
An easy way to test for leaking valve seals is- with the engine fully up to operating temperature, let it idle for around 5 minutes,then snap open the throttle about a third of the way or a bit more, and then hold it there. If the engine blows a heap of smoke for a few seconds, but then clears itself and comes clean, then the valve stem seals are stuffed. If the smoke is just continuous after reving the car for a good 20 seconds or so, then its most likely to be worn rings. A compression test should then be able to tell you more..

vxcustom

VXXX
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx v6 executive
I have had a compression test on the cylinders and number 2 cylinder is reading lower......when oil is p[ut in the cyclinder the compression rises back to nearly normal.

I ended up purchasing a valve spring compressor and replaced the two valve stem seals on number 2 and this has made an improvement however anything over quarter throttle at any revs causes the car to run on 5 cylinders not sure whats going on but the mnechanic that did the test said that it could either be valve stem seals or possibly rings (though not sure on these as it doesnt constantly blow smoke) and he wouldnt be able to tell without taking the heads off. Any ideas or suggestions would be a great help. I have changed the coil packs and ignition modules, new leads, new spark plugs etc so I'm pretty much at the end of my knowledge

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If the compression pressure was better once oil was squirted into the cylinder, then that points to worn pistons/rings/cylinder bores.. Oil helps seal the worn rings, which then makes the compression reading come up, so Id be looking at buying a full reconditioned engine, or rebuilding your old engine. If it were burnt/worn valves leaking, then the compression pressures wouldnt change when the oil was squirted into the cylinder.

vxcustom

VXXX
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx v6 executive
I am leaning towards the same opinion the only thing that concerns me about this diagnosis is that the car doesnt really blow any smoke. The symptonms again are:
slight miss at idle, runs perfectly on very light throttle, car misfires and chugs (as if running on 5 or less cylinders) under any real kind of load although as the revs slowly increase past 2000rpm the throttle can be applied a little more. Number two cylinder spark plug was oiling up within two days of being replaced, have replaced valve stem seals in number two and the spark plug now remains fairly clean (certainly a lot better than it used to be.

This is driving me insane.........I need the car and ghaving been recently retrenched money is soooooo very tight. If it needs a new engine it needs it but for the life of me I cant seem to make heads or tails of this and it is frustrating

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
u could try a bandaid fix dont know if they work 100% but i recently bought a bottle from this company coz it was on sale at super cheap Products | Rislone - Premium Automotive Chemicals for the misus lil gemini as we suspected worn rings coz she was getting similar symtoms as u. we ended up using a thicker oil tho that bought the compression back up + adding 1 of these bottles so its a lil hard 2 say if its worked/working or at least helping with the thicker oil.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The only thing you can really do to find the problem is remove the heads and inspect the cylinder bores and valves etc for wear, and replace/recondition whats worn. I know what its like when the funds are tight though. You can pick up second hand ecotec engines pretty cheap these days that are still in good condition. Look on ebay, local wreckers etc. That might be the best way to go.

vxcustom

VXXX
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx v6 executive
Yeah I am able to get a low km ecotec for $660 from the wreckers with a warranty and this may ultimately be what I have to do. We only have the one car so very difficult for it to be out of action for more than 24 hours and once again the car does not constantly blow smoke which I would have thought with the rings gone it would constantly blow smoke. hmmmmmmmmm

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
once again the car does not constantly blow smoke which I would have thought with the rings gone it would constantly blow smoke. hmmmmmmmmm

as said she was getting same symtoms as u wasnt blowing smoke either but no1 spark plug was fouling up with oil ect... she burns alot of oil 2. had nothing 2 lose putting it in as its running back 2 normal now.

vxcustom

VXXX
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx v6 executive
true true will give it a try. Just resetting computer at the moment and intend to double check the coil packs and leads (even though only replaced 6 months ago). The oil usage has gotten a lot better since changing valve stem seals and plug doesnt seem to be fouling so once checked then its off to get additives lol