Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Urgent Tranny help needed..

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
VRAddiction said:
im a mechanic and it takes me 15 mins max to drop the oil and filter on a tranny and when your working with hot stuff thats why they invented mechanics gloves.... ;)
In Townsville they say they need your car at least till noon and generally like to have it all day. The reason they give is that they have to wait till the oil cools before they can drain it!. Maybe they like to take their time or whatever.
Question: Do you need to wait till the transmission cools to refill or is it OK to fill the hot trans with cool oil?

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
No matter what the temp of the oil, although "just warm" oil will drain faster, trans oil is pretty thin either way, however changing the oil pan will still leave more than 2 litres of old burnt / dirty oil in the torque converter, that's imposible to remove unless you are prepared remove the lot, not a great idea, change the oil / filter and then drive it for a day and drain the oil again to make sure most old oil is removed.

Problem is doing the pan again gets exe so if you can beg or borrow a suction pump you can leave the pan alone and suck it out the filler tube, unless they don't seal it properly then it's a simple "do it again" for free.

Once done gear changes will get smoother instantly and the entire tranny will usually last longer.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
digisol said:
No matter what the temp of the oil, although "just warm" oil will drain faster, trans oil is pretty thin either way, however changing the oil pan will still leave more than 2 litres of old burnt / dirty oil in the torque converter, that's imposible to remove unless you are prepared remove the lot, not a great idea, change the oil / filter and then drive it for a day and drain the oil again to make sure most old oil is removed.

Problem is doing the pan again gets exe so if you can beg or borrow a suction pump you can leave the pan alone and suck it out the filler tube, unless they don't seal it properly then it's a simple "do it again" for free.

Once done gear changes will get smoother instantly and the entire tranny will usually last longer.
Sounds logical. I changed the trans oil and filter last year - it took some time and I still got covered in oil despite all precautions. The pan had never been removed before (at 130,000km) so the filter was starting to get clogged but there were no metal filings or clutch bits...just a bit of sludge on the bottom of the pan. The car was certainly smoother after that and I'll do it again every 12 months. It's nice pulling the trans dipstick and seeing bright red fluid.
Thanks and regards

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
I had the guys at the auto place disconect the auto cooler hose and, drain all the oil from the pan, fill it with new oil and force new oil throught he entire system out of the hose line until fresh oil was coming out(in other words drain the torque converter and all the lines) basically all the 9Litres of oil were replaced with fresh oil, smooooth gear changes since then.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Raging Bull said:
I had the guys at the auto place disconect the auto cooler hose and, drain all the oil from the pan, fill it with new oil and force new oil throught he entire system out of the hose line until fresh oil was coming out(in other words drain the torque converter and all the lines) basically all the 9Litres of oil were replaced with fresh oil, smooooth gear changes since then.
Heard about that method too only the method I heard was to have the engine running with the pipe disconnected and when the flow of oil stops turn the motor off - measure the amount of oil pumped out and refill that same amount thru the dipstick as normal. Theory is that the trans will not be damaged as its not under stress in park and all moving things have a coating of oil. But that still leaves a filter that may be a bit blocked and that sludgy stuff at the bottom of the pan. I guess the best way would be to remove the pan and change the filter first time then use the static pump out method on future oil changes. Regards

235rwkw

Reaction score
ah no don't run it dry.

the line from the box goes into a empty bucket

the line back to the box goes in a 10litre container of new fluid.

wait till it comes out clear and clean or you get to 10litres, turn off reconnect and check level.