Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

USB Key capacity - size/limitations

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
Just wondering what is the largest USB capacity that the VF system can read and accomodate. Currently are using a 128gb key but as I have ripped the music to WMA lossless to get quality, the number of songs is not as many as I would like. On a side note, I know the VE has a limitation of 1000 songs and was wondering if the VF is the same.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the usable capacity is dictated by the filesystem it is formatted with.
the most common is fat32 so the capacity limit will be 2tb~16tb depending on sector size with around 250 million files depending on cluster size.

the visible list limitation if any will be software based in the mylink audio player.
if there is a limitation it will be set within the code as a hard limit or be based on available memory.
i had a bunch of songs on a portable ssd in my vf and i dont recall noticing a limit but i never really looked for it.

i would expect that it would display more than 1000 items unless the developer added a hard limit.
even in a 16 bit environment you would be able to list 65535 but i would expect memory usage to be an issue before the limit of the environment.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
In the VF, I'm also using a 128gb stick with a 115gb of WMA lossless files, I haven't found any limitations.
The media player in the VE IQ wont read WMA lossless, not sure about standard WMA files, its OK with MP3's.
The file system will only read the first 256 folders, and the first 256 files in each folder.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
... I use a 128Gb stick in my Vf HSV Tourer
and
song count? no idea but its got about 100CDs loaded .... guessing over 800?
plus a stack of stuff off Youtube (eg 2 hour Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones concerts)
and other free online musc sites

in other words.. lots! and I know that the 'indexing' process when you first start
has gotten really long

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I gave this up ages ago. Spotify via Bluetooth is all I do. Endless choices...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I gave this up ages ago. Spotify via Bluetooth is all I do. Endless choices...
I can't stomach the sound quality, it's too obviously carp with my (then) iPhone SE & (now) 11 Mini. And briefly with the Galaxy S4. It's not necessarily the car's fault, the only time the Bluetooth quality hasn't bugged me from this 'phone is the Beats branded headset (who're owned by Apple).

I've tried plugging it in, but cannot find the setting on the 'phone which will allow me to use spotify instead if the inbuilt music-player ... it's got basically the same library (all scanned CD's) as the USB stick, making it a tad redundant.

The USB stick in the car has about 4000 tracks on it, normally it's fine but occasionally it decides it needs to re-index and that takes 5-ish minutes.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I can't stomach the sound quality, it's too obviously carp with my (then) iPhone SE & (now) 11 Mini. And briefly with the Galaxy S4. It's not necessarily the car's fault, the only time the Bluetooth quality hasn't bugged me from this 'phone is the Beats branded headset (who're owned by Apple).

I've tried plugging it in, but cannot find the setting on the 'phone which will allow me to use spotify instead if the inbuilt music-player ... it's got basically the same library (all scanned CD's) as the USB stick, making it a tad redundant.

The USB stick in the car has about 4000 tracks on it, normally it's fine but occasionally it decides it needs to re-index and that takes 5-ish minutes.

for the most part the bluetooth protocol can handle the data throughput for "decent" sound quality but there are a number of factors that will reduce it with the main culprit being the audio player.
bluetooth is just a means of transferring the data which at its core is no different to wifi or 4g etc, it is just a transmission layer, even am radio is just a transmission layer, the amount of data per packet is what sets everything apart.

with spotify the quality can vary from paid to free and network strength, you could end up with a stream of 24kbit on spotify which is horrible compared to 320kbit which is(was) its highest and even then comparing that to lossless an audiophile will notice the difference because lossless is somewhere around 1400+kbit.
spotify has started to roll out a lossless stream but as far as i know it will not be available over bluetooth, the audio player will compress it to match the available bluetooth protocol version.

so the only real way for lossless or "quality" sound will be usb for the mylink.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I can't stomach the sound quality
There are some quality settings in Spotify for quality of streaming when on WiFi and mobile for data saving, adjusting quality for available bandwidth/reception etc... Dunno if that helps you out.

Interestingly on another note I haven't seen anybody using WMA for anything in years.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
for the most part the bluetooth protocol can handle the data throughput for "decent" sound quality but there are a number of factors that will reduce it with the main culprit being the audio player.
bluetooth is just a means of transferring the data which at its core is no different to wifi or 4g etc, it is just a transmission layer, even am radio is just a transmission layer, the amount of data per packet is what sets everything apart.

with spotify the quality can vary from paid to free and network strength, you could end up with a stream of 24kbit on spotify which is horrible compared to 320kbit which is(was) its highest and even then comparing that to lossless an audiophile will notice the difference because lossless is somewhere around 1400+kbit.
IMHO an audiophile will tell themself they can hear the difference … if the software was running 320kbit compressed and lied to the audiophile that it was “lossless”, said audiophile would never know … :)

My ‘phone has heaps of storage but I’ve got about the cheapest SIM plan (low data), so my playlist is all stored on the ‘phone (added while on WiFi) at the highest sound-quality the app allows. The problem seems to be in communicating with the player rather than the downloaded quality.