Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Using different grades of fuel

SV666

The Commodore Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXEC SII
Hey guys and gals,

Just wondering about the different fuels at shell and what they offer, there's vpower 98 (red) shell 95 (blue) and shell 91 (yellow). OK i have been using the vpower for sometime now and wanted to try out the 95 to see what it's like i read the description and it says suited for most European and new cars. Have to say it's not bad at all, I'm getting a bit more out of a tank compared to the vpower but my question is and i know it may sound like a stupid one but is it fine to keep using the 95 rather than going to the 91 or use the 98?

Thanks in advance.

ads18x

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6 Ute
Depends on your driving habits. If you want to go faster, get 98RON. If you just want your car to take you where you want to go and don't care, get 91Ron. 95 is a happy medium. But this also depends on whether the car's engine was designed to run on a certain fuel rating. I.e putting performance fuel into and economy car generally wont produce extra power. Putting lower octane fuel into a performance car, will however, produce less power.

Quote from wikipedia: "In Australia, from October 2006, Shell and Coles Express re-branded Optimax to V-Power (98 RON). V-Power Racing, the ultra-high performance variant has a rating of 100 RON although as of July[when?] this is being phased out, instead recommending V-Power. The previously obtainable higher grade V-Power Racing which contained 5% ethanol to boost V-Power's octane rating to 100 RON has now been phased out by Shell due to a "changing market".

zr1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Hey guys and gals,

Just wondering about the different fuels at shell and what they offer, there's vpower 98 (red) shell 95 (blue) and shell 91 (yellow). OK i have been using the vpower for sometime now and wanted to try out the 95 to see what it's like i read the description and it says suited for most European and new cars. Have to say it's not bad at all, I'm getting a bit more out of a tank compared to the vpower but my question is and i know it may sound like a stupid one but is it fine to keep using the 95 rather than going to the 91 or use the 98?

Thanks in advance.

Gday SV666,

If you are planning on keeping the car for a long period of time, I would personally be using V-power. I've actually seen first hand two different engines from the same manufacture used for the same duty, with one run on V-power and one on standard 91 RON and was amazed at the condition of the internals between the two.
Hope this helps

SV666

The Commodore Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXEC SII
Well thanks guys for the replies, it has made sense for me here. I don't think i would go 91 RON but rather use 95 and 98 every now and again for a clean out.

Cheers.

ads18x

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6 Ute
Stay away from that e10 garbage too. I've heard some horror stories about that stuff destroying engines.

bbb

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Sv6 Wagon
Stay away from that e10 garbage too. I've heard some horror stories about that stuff destroying engines.

The funny part is holden recommend it!!!!
But after reading alot and doing alot of searches and talking to mechanics both holden,ford and my general mechanic ethanol fuel has changed alot over the last 5 years and use to contain up to 30% ethanol, now it is capped at 10% max and from all reports it has no affect on newer engines.
More than 10% is blammed for eating away seals and plastic components, but the latest offering being capped at a mix of max 10% is all ok.
Personally i get that little edge on performance and prefer 98 and 95 when nothing else around.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Hey guys and gals,

Thanks in advance.

id stick with using 98 mate, runs much cleaner then the others which is good, You can go get a tune to suit for 98 so u will get more out of it too

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I run 95 currently. When i get it tuned it will then run on vortex 98 all the time. I personally don't see the need to run 98 on a stock engine, 95 will more than do the job.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I'd actually swap to BP ultimate. I've noticed mine runs a little rougher on shell than BP. Also a mate of mine was having troubles with his merc in cold start. We took it up to the dealer and they said they were having a lot of problems with customer cars running on shell. Apprently it's very oil-rich and doesn't flow fast enough through the injectors. Also doesn't burn as well. He's swapped to BP and had no issues since.

boneart

Reaction score
Website
www.boneart.co.nz
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Redline
91/95/98 Ron

I agree with Tinsnips, use the good stuff.

If you are going to pay a big chunk of cash to get a good car don't penny pinch on tyres or gas.

I changed from Shell 95 to BP Ultimate 98 and it was a noticeable difference in the SS V8.
A tiny bit more power but noticeably smoother acceleration made it a much nicer drive.

If you are just doing daily round town running 95 is fine and its easier to get than 98 (at least in NZ) but if you like a little smoother performance or you want to play a bit it is well worth the change.
I would not bother with 91 at all for these cars, you are just throwing away performance and if you want economy that much buy a small Toyota.

It will take a couple of tank fulls through to let the engine adjust before you see the best results.
Cost wise 98 is a bit more expensive but the car appears to run a bit more efficiently on it so it balances out to around the same $ per KM in the end.

I don't know what it would be like in the V6 but the V8 certainly likes the BP 98