Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Using Hot Wax At The Car Wash

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
i went through the auto wash at my local diy place last time, It absolutely ****ED my paint up, got terrible fade lines thorugh all my paint now, have to keep the car polished every few weeks to avoid it looking like total ****.

as for hot wax in general i havent had a problem with that, i used some wax mixed in hot water with a air gun spray the other day, and it worked well.

vpcalais6

F#%ING [P] PLATER
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
V6 manual vp Calais
i went through the auto wash at my local diy place last time, It absolutely ****ED my paint up, got terrible fade lines thorugh all my paint now, have to keep the car polished every few weeks to avoid it looking like total ****.

as for hot wax in general i havent had a problem with that, i used some wax mixed in hot water with a air gun spray the other day, and it worked well.

I went thru the auto one and the jet spray went in circles so now mine has swirls all over it like you would get from a buffer

it's f#cked

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
Ha Ha, didn't realise we all drive show cars or 2010 models.....

For the basic daily driver these car wash's are fine, damn I've been using them for years without a drama...
No i don't use the brush on our Black VE, but I do use the high pressure soap, and the wax....worx 4 me and the other thousands of people that use them every day.......

I don't drive a 2010 model or a show car. What I do drive is a car that isn't full of swirls! By doing it the way I suggested it is cheaper as well. But if you're happy with a half assed wash then I applaud you! :beer chug:

Yes, and if you do this most places will tell you to piss off. Every single car wash I have seen says that you can not use any of your own products.

Do it after hours, problem solved.

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
I don't drive a 2010 model or a show car. What I do drive is a car that isn't full of swirls! By doing it the way I suggested it is cheaper as well. But if you're happy with a half assed wash then I applaud you! :beer chug:

lol...... As I said, don't use the brush's..... You aint gunna get swirls from water and soap, if you do, they were already there, and obviously covered by wax or polish......... Half assed wash.... I do mine every Sat religiously, and don't need to use a brush or sponge, as a regular 7 day wash is all I need to make mine look good :)

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
Only use the high pressure hose at the wash place to rinse your car.

why dont u invest in a high preasure hose. im sure u would find lots of things to use them for.
tehy clean anything.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I have intentionally been through auto-wash once in my life - I was 17. Never again. It's a personal thing but those brushes are about as good as 40grit sand paper to wash your car with. When my VE went in for it's 3000km service at the dealer, they ran it through their auto wash (didn't occur to me to ask them NOT to do it!). I got it professionally detailed when I took delivery of it in 08 to get rid of all the "factory added" swirls and was right back where I started with the auto wash. Wasn't happy. Personally, I wouldn't take a push bike through one, let alone a car - no matter what condition the paint was in.

If you're interested, check out a detailing forum like Detail Paradise or similar - there's heaps of good tips for beginners to pros. Take care of your investement!

And that's my 2 cents!

JoshSvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Sedan - The Beige Bandit!
DON'T use the Auto washes with the Brushes, they will only scratch your car. There are Brushless Automatic car washes which are better but still can leave dirt on your car. Best way is by hand.

showxpony

Reaction score
Members Ride
Redline SSV
Ha Ha, didn't realise we all drive show cars or 2010 models.....

For the basic daily driver these car wash's are fine, damn I've been using them for years without a drama...
No i don't use the brush on our Black VE, but I do use the high pressure soap, and the wax....worx 4 me and the other thousands of people that use them every day.......

All depends on how much you like your paint. For me, i dont take my car anywhere near those joints, the high pressure soap crap removes most waxes, and god forbid the brush be used on paint work. Whoever thought using a freakin broom to wash your car was a good idea, is a moron. For other cars, especially those that are crap anyway or for the people who just dont care too much, those places are perfect.

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
All depends on how much you like your paint. For me, i dont take my car anywhere near those joints, the high pressure soap crap removes most waxes, and god forbid the brush be used on paint work. Whoever thought using a freakin broom to wash your car was a good idea, is a moron. For other cars, especially those that are crap anyway or for the people who just dont care too much, those places are perfect.

I seriously think it depends on where you live, as here in mornington I repeatedly see BMW's HSV's Porsche Boats etc etc all get cleaned at our local Super Sud's, Yes with high pressure water/soap and the brush's, that are actually soft, NOT BROOM Like at all.... maybe you need to choose which car wash you use..........

I care about my car, and my Boat has never shown any kind of wear from using this equipment, My 2 Cents :)

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
also about the touch washes, been to a annual meeting last month for the carwash i work at, had a look at whats called a "tunnel" touch wash, the guy who owns and runs it puts his brand new lamborghini thru it, comes out without a swirl, scratch or dent on it.... technology is changing people, materials and detergents arent what the used to be and are designed to not harm your paint. if your in melbourne head out to aspendale and have a look at the tunnel thats out there. you will be amazed at what it does without harming your paintwork