Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ute badges and other myths busted

Airalistair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Spitfire green MY16 redline Ute with amcat canopy.
So after a bit of reading and asking people about badge removal I decided to take the badges off my redline ute and swap the chrome fender vents for black ones. What I found was people sprouting myths so I though I'd clarify these 2 and if anyone else wants to chip in with more please feel free to.

With the badges some people were saying there are locating holes, some were saying I'll wreck the paint, use a heat gun, get a professional to do it blah blah. So here it is:

all 3 ss badges were pulled off using a piece of fishing line in about 5 seconds each, they left a few bits of double sided adhesive that were easily pulled off with a fingernail. Quick wash with detergent and no trace of ever existing. Piece of piss.

The front ls3 and rear v series 2 redline one also pulled off with fishing line in 3 seconds each but left a thicker bit of adhesive. Bit of petrol to soften them and pull of the chunks then wash with detergent and gone. Whole de badge job was maybe 5 minutes and all that is required is fishing line, a finger nail and some solvent. No holes or marks.

The other thing was swapping the front fender vents, people were talking jack up and take the wheels off and pull out the inner guard then feel around and pop them out etc.

I got a rag and put credit card in it and slid in the top, it popped out then a bit of a wiggle and the whole thing comes out. Change the plug onto the new one and pop back in. If it takes more than 30 seconds you are doing it wrong.

Also make sure that Holden is your first stop for parts before ebay or anything, two vents was $62.45 and two black drl surrounds was $91.18. Both delivered the morning after I ordered them. I've seen the vents for $80+ each plus postage and drl surrounds for $150+ plus postage on ebay etc.

Next job is the drl surrounds, I reckon I could do them without front bar removal using bits of cut up ice cream tub on the tabs but I have to pull the bar off anyway for a light bar install. Will see.

Attachments

• tmp_533-20170308_150543529900418.jpg
    tmp_533-20170308_150543529900418.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 785
  • tmp_533-20170308_150508212303997.jpg
    tmp_533-20170308_150508212303997.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 558

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
I think you'll find the rear holden badge is the one with the locating hole. Atleast it is on my VZ ute, all other badges are just as you said, fishing line and golden. But the Holden Lion one's which are on ALL models have the locating holes. The badges that indicate model or engine type do not have these.

Aussie XB12SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 & VU SS Fifty
When I take the badges off I either park in the sun & peel off when hot or use dental floss.
Bit of CRC or WD40 removes the sticky ****.
CRC also for tar - just runs off.

Also used the credit card for the fender vents.

Airalistair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Spitfire green MY16 redline Ute with amcat canopy.
Sorry I should have specified that I kept the lion badges, yes I'd say they would have locating holes.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Which crazy people are saying the front guard vents need the car jacked up & the inner guards removed?! The instructions I had from this forum didn't say that. :)

The eBay source for my guard & grille blackouts (plus sports armour) were all cheaper than the local Holden dealer; and when the parts arrived, they had been sent from another Holden dealer. :)

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
Why do people want to remove the badges for, looks to me as it's been in a smash or it's a base model car want too be thing.
People who remove all the strips off Premiers to try make them look like a Belmont, I just don't understand that.
Can you help me out on why do people want to do that.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
Why do people want to remove the badges for, looks to me as it's been in a smash or it's a base model car want too be thing.
People who remove all the strips off Premiers to try make them look like a Belmont, I just don't understand that.

I have to agree with this, it cheapens the car significantly. I wouldn't dream of removing the badges from my Redline.

Last edited:

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
I have to agree with this, it cheapens the car significantly. I wouldn't dream of removing the badges from my Redline.

Some people like the clean skin look. Different people different strokes. I have all my badges still on my VZ but have seen some cars that look really good without them, really just down to personal preference.

It's like when I see base model White Omega VEs with fluorescent orange wheels, orange spoiler and orange paint highlights, to me it looks cheap and nasty. But I can assume the owner of the car likes it or has their reasons.

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Next job is the drl surrounds, I reckon I could do them without front bar removal using bits of cut up ice cream tub on the tabs but I have to pull the bar off anyway for a light bar install. Will see.
I've done this. Also reckoned I could do it without taking the bar off. Failed.
I took the bar off... when I did I saw there are a few screws and careful tabs you need to get out that you just can't get into with the bar on the car... mainly because you don't know where they are. It *may* be possible if you knew exactly where they all were, but I found taking the bar off enabled me to do it much quicker.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I've done this. Also reckoned I could do it without taking the bar off. Failed.
I took the bar off... when I did I saw there are a few screws and careful tabs you need to get out that you just can't get into with the bar on the car... mainly because you don't know where they are. It *may* be possible if you knew exactly where they all were, but I found taking the bar off enabled me to do it much quicker.
What about taking off the inner wheel arches? Are you selling your chrome bits?