Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 3l SIDI dipsticks

Conzo97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Hey. I've just done an oil change and am a little confused on the dipstick. This one works on an add and max 'area.' I believe I've slightly overfilled it. The manual asks for 6.7l and I've added maybe 6.9. I'm having trouble identifying how far over it is though. Immediately after the full area, the dipstick goes coiled and it's almost impossible to find the oil line.

Is it worth emptying it, you reckon?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
can you drain 300ml out? use a cup to measure. you will get oil on you so keep your elbows high.

h8tensv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6 2002 VX 1989 VN 5 Litre
Probably easier and less mess to drain all the oil out and put it back in. I always put 6 litres in first and then check the level and add small amounts from there till it’s up to the correct level.

Conzo97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Just out of curiousity, do you think leaving that extra oil in will do any engine damage?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Just out of curiousity, do you think leaving that extra oil in will do any engine damage?

It can hit the crank throwing extra oil up onto the bores this oil can make the rings push back which can lead to bore glazing.
If the engine likes to chew oil I wouldn't worry too much but if it's.a low KM engine I would try and correct it.

It can also lead to ovalality in the bore but normal engine operation will do this to some degree too.