Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

v6 crow cam stage 3 is it really worth it

coreys912516

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 5 speed wagon mock up Calais
What is your budget and how much of the work can you do yourself?

Cheers,
Steve

well iam thinking of getting a reco engine so that gunna be $2,895 so iam thinking about $1500 the most ?

MACE

Reaction score
well iam thinking of getting a reco engine so that gunna be $2,895 so iam thinking about $1500 the most ?

You'll definitely be able to get away with less, including mail order tune, new double row chain set, upgraded valve springs retainers and collets etc.

MACE

Reaction score
A slight off topic question ( im good at that! ) the L67 has the cam gear set at 2degrees advanced, so would there be any benefit to running the L67 cam gear in a non supercharged eco since their the same bump stick?

For the trouble I wouldn't bother.

cracker

Reaction score
for what a 5L is worth these days...

MACE

Reaction score
New cam, memcal, springs, retainers, double row timing chain set to suit will be around the $1100 mark. If he was on a real budget can supply a comp cam and memcal to suit for $680, which would work well with everything else. If boost or an engine conversion was on the cards(?) then I guess a factory supercharged V6 would be something to consider.

Cheers,
Steve

coreys912516

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 5 speed wagon mock up Calais
New cam, memcal, springs, retainers, double row timing chain set to suit will be around the $1100 mark. If he was on a real budget can supply a comp cam and memcal to suit for $680, which would work well with everything else. If boost or an engine conversion was on the cards(?) then I guess a factory supercharged V6 would be something to consider.

Cheers,
Steve

thanks alot steve i think iam be contacting u quite soon but can u tell me this what about a lumpy cam i really like the sound of them what do i need for them an how much would i be looking at thanks v6 vp

MyStreetCar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6
Absolutely

Its been quite some time since I was last on Just Commodores. Was just checking out the scene & it was great to see things are still going strong with the interest and development of the V6 engine.

A few years ago now I did have some fun with a V6 ecotec in a VS Commodore and throughout the entire build up was facinated by the results and potential of this engine. Just saw this thread & thought I might relive some past moments.

It became apparent to me that the V6 was really detuned, so to speak, from the factory to make it suitable for the average grampa driver and with just few clever modifications, there is just so much potential that could be unlocked.

So, is a camshaft upgrade worth it................?? The answer is a very confident YES. However, it must be done right. The camshaft must be carefully degreed in. I found the the factory valve timing was chronically retarded from the factory. I had to advance the camshaft 6 degrees just to get anywhere near the cam card and I could have gone another 2 degrees I believe however, just played it safe in the end. I did use a Crow stage 3. If I was going to go to all this trouble I wanted to make a difference that would count so a stage 2 kit was never really considered.

Aside from the camshaft I installed Pacemakers, Haltech piggy back and essentially just a few more small mod's.

Conclusion........... The difference was bloody amazing..................!!

An interesting observation was that in the end the final tune was not that far removed from the factory settings. Upon the first start up the engine wasn't happy however, it soon sorted itself out after a few minutes with the factory ECU quickly adjusting itself to the new engine. I guess the old settings stored in the ECU, inparticular as the last time it run was with the old camshaft were completely inappropiate for the new changes.

Before power: Approx 100kw After power: Approx 135KW Rear wheels.

The best part of it was the on road difference.................... explosive accelleration......!!

I actually created a web site for the build: My Street Car I think its still active. In the end the whole project was abanded due to illness, the car was placed into storage and I had to close my business. Things started to improve for me eventually and the car was put back into service and is still now my daily driven vehicle I use now as a daily driver and it is used to promote my new business. Its a great car and a great engine. The car still attracts plenty of attention and you really now there is something going on under the bonnet. Infact, it just seems to keep getting stronger.

I never actually got to the 1/4 but the temptation remains. I will soon be taking it of the road for a freshen up (Not the engine, its fine) and will be building a new exhaust probably 3 inch and bigger cat.

All in all.............the development never went far so I feel I only scratched the surface of this engine's potential.

At the moment I am involved in setting up the odd circuit car and one critical aspect of making cars going around corners fast in less weight. Yes, weight is a killer when trying to win races. I feel a strong V6 would be a great engine for this category of racing and if done right might even give the STI's & EVO's a fright.

Anyway, drifting off on a tangent hear .....

I could quite rightly get shot down in flames hear................... However, I support a camshaft upgrade over high ratio rockers. I think HR rockers are a great low cost / low time input upgrade although there is almost double the potential outcome with a camshaft plus you also get to play with valve timing when replacing the camshaft. HR rockers will also place extra stress on the valve train.

Anyway, its all good if your having fun