Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 to v8 conversion

madute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Storm Ute
Hi guys. I have a few questions for the people who have done this or have more knowledge about the v6 to v8 conversion.

I have a full donor car, bought it very cheap.
It is a vz v8 sedan.
Now why I am making this thread is because my car is a 2006 vz v6 UTE. I have not got the sedan in my possession yet so I can't have a look. But I know the SS has twin exhausts. Do I still use the v6 exhaust or do I use the sedan and change the bumper to a ute vz ss bumper.

On the v6 is the fuel tank in the same place as the v8 version?
Apart from running gear there is not a lot different, to my knowledge. Else can someone let me know.

Thanks a lot guys.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Major difference is one is a ute and one is a sedan.
I had a sedan exhaust on my wagon that was extended a little to make it fit, should be the same thing on the ute.

I can tell you it will be a lot of work to do everything, although I think it is worth it.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
For memory the BCM is different between V8 and V6 as well as sedan and ute, so you will probably have to source a SS ute one of the on top of your other bits.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
BCM and ECU/PCM (emissions control unit/powertrain control module) are two different things, also do not use the the V6 exhaust on the V8 you will choke it to death, if you can squeeze it in your budget source some HSV extractors, hell if your real lucky the donor will have a full aftermaket system headers back.

mossy14

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore 3.8
Rebuild the v8 b4 u put it in

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Buy the service manuals for the vehicles involved in the changeover.
GM CD (if available still), Haynes, Gregory's, Ellery's ??. I think you may need them. Each manual has strong points not covered in other manuals.

Are you thinking of going down the "show car" weekend exhibiter, 1/4 mile or just a daily drive? These goals will influence how you restore the ute's bodywork and general finishing off, and the rebuild where necessary of the engine, gearbox or differential. etc.

At the end of the day I guess you will need an engineer's compliance statement of some type to register the Ute and get some type of insurance (theft, fire, third party property damage, or comprehensive).

Looking at your project. Does the V8 engine/transmission work at all (drop the tail shaft)..? Checking for DTCs history would be handy. Some will probably be there if it has been rear-ended. Clearing down the memory would give you a clean slate.

I would photograph/video all interior features and all exterior features such as fuel lines, clearances to cabin floor, under dash and engine compartment, around the gearbox, engine mounts etc and take progress photos as you dismantle both vehicles. Ute has leaf springs not IRS? Maybe source a V8 diff for the leaf springs. The fuel pump will need to be the V8's etc. maybe a V8 fuel tank and pump could be the fix if they differ.

Develop a library of what went where and what fits where. Digital images are very cheap.

Good luck with your project!

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Sell both, buy an SS - done.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
pretty much it...

madute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Storm Ute
Sell both, buy an SS - done.

Sounds easier said than done. Other mods:
teen super street Coil overs,
full nolathene bush kit,
upgraded anti roll bars,
whiteline sway bar,
3 pot brakes on front,
slotted and drill rotors on front/back,
otr,
heavy duty driveshaft,
3.9 gears,
19" Avanti rims or however you spell it.

I guess I could remove the mods and replace them with the stock components but seems like a lot of work.
I bought the vz v8 sedan for $1700 unregistered, rear ended. Has 102,000km on the clock, mine has 98,000km.
All looked good until I started it up, didn't seem to run right. Did a compression test and the engine is rooted.
Looks like head gasket is gone because it has low compression in two adjacent cylinders.

Now I don't know what to do. Might just supercharge it I think.