Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

valiant charger;)

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
get yourself a speed file. a mate of mine bought one cos we are painting his brother kingsy ute. they are great. i had never used one before. they save ya heaps of time..

and rhino racing. how sure are you that your 360 is bored to a 426. because with a stoker crank and bored 30 thou they only go out to 408. by the way.. very nice charger
i hope one day i get to do mine up.. aswell as my vh hardtop..

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Great stuff. Keep us posted as you progress.

For some reason I see a few Chargers around the Castle Hill NSW area.

The old muscle cars still make you smile.
its funny you say that as when i was doing up my vl a while back i was going to put a walkinshaw kit on it and me and the wife were debating which we see more of the chargers or a walkinshaw? and believe it or not we actaully seen more chargers around our area than walkys:p
On large panels that you can wash easy paint stripper is your friend, apart from being even more toxic than paint dust :p
i think its the paint dust thats made me crook over the last couple of days (thought i had tonsilitis) throats been all sore and lungs been feeling like im getting asthma:( i wear a rubber respirator but it dosent seem to work all to well! Actually its a bit of a worry as most of the paint in the 70s contained lead bit of a worry:shutup::rip: also can you wash the stripper of the bare metal with water?
get yourself a speed file. a mate of mine bought one cos we are painting his brother kingsy ute. they are great. i had never used one before. they save ya heaps of time..

and rhino racing. how sure are you that your 360 is bored to a 426. because with a stoker crank and bored 30 thou they only go out to 408. by the way.. very nice charger
might sound dumb but whats a speed file:p?
i also have heard of other 360s being bought out to 426 and 440s? although im not sure if it could be done with the 318 fireball motors?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yeah you can wash paint stripper off with water and give it a real nice clean with prepsol before you paint. But I like deoxidine to be on the metal before the paint too. after you clean the panel back to bare metal you mix some deoxidine with water as per instructions, rub it in with a rag or scouring sponge (wear chemical proof gloves:) ) and leave it sit a bit then before its dry you rub it off with some clean rags. If you get that right the dexodine will leave the panel coated with a crazy purple/blue ish coating of phosphorus and be not likely to rust anytime soon

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
This project looks great mate. Although I love my Holdens I do like and respect the old school cars and can appreciate any amount of work gone into any car. By the looks of this you've put a fair bit of work into it already and with more to come too. Goodluck with it and keep us posted with progress pics.

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Yeah you can wash paint stripper off with water and give it a real nice clean with prepsol before you paint. But I like deoxidine to be on the metal before the paint too. after you clean the panel back to bare metal you mix some deoxidine with water as per instructions, rub it in with a rag or scouring sponge (wear chemical proof gloves:) ) and leave it sit a bit then before its dry you rub it off with some clean rags. If you get that right the dexodine will leave the panel coated with a crazy purple/blue ish coating of phosphorus and be not likely to rust anytime soon

yeah i use deoxidine on all the stripped panels:thumbsup: the steel goes a colour like when a stainles steel exhuast has been heated and gets that blue look:) i should have some more pics of the car up ny tomorow night (hopefully)!

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
This project looks great mate. Although I love my Holdens I do like and respect the old school cars and can appreciate any amount of work gone into any car. By the looks of this you've put a fair bit of work into it already and with more to come too. Goodluck with it and keep us posted with progress pics.

cheers mate:thumbsup: yeah will post up soem more pics tommorow:) hopefully i wont die of lead posioning first from stripping all these panels:p

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
a speed file is pretty much a long sanding block. they are good for shaping bog and ya don't get as many high and low spots. they are way better than using a small block.
for a 360 to be bored out that much. the pistons would have to be huge. they would have to be 8.5mm or 351 thou bigger. i know the hemi 6's. ya cna't go over 60 thou as the bore goes too thin. although it was rumored that the s block out go out to 4 inch. but i was told never to do that. i also did read of a 318 bored out the a 340. the 318's have the same pistons size as a 265 which is 3.91 inchs and the 340 shares the same stoke as a 318 but has a 4.04 piston size.. anyways i am only going on what i read. but i will look into it more..
your motor hasn't been sleeved has it???

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
a speed file is pretty much a long sanding block. they are good for shaping bog and ya don't get as many high and low spots. they are way better than using a small block.
for a 360 to be bored out that much. the pistons would have to be huge. they would have to be 8.5mm or 351 thou bigger. i know the hemi 6's. ya cna't go over 60 thou as the bore goes too thin. although it was rumored that the s block out go out to 4 inch. but i was told never to do that. i also did read of a 318 bored out the a 340. the 318's have the same pistons size as a 265 which is 3.91 inchs and the 340 shares the same stoke as a 318 but has a 4.04 piston size.. anyways i am only going on what i read. but i will look into it more..
your motor hasn't been sleeved has it???

no im pretty sure my 265 is still the stock factory motor and hasnt been sleeved! (it looks very tired and when we started her up about 2 years ago she blew enough smoke to put billy ho steam train to shame:p) im not to sure about the v8 side of the hemi,s and what they can be bored out to? im not sure but was there ever a 380 bought out in the E55,s? or was it just the 360 motor? im pretty sure it was the 360 motor in the E55s? anyway will look into the speed file and see how i go! and thanks for recomending it to me by the way:thumbsup:

Rhino Racing

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn/vp Speedway Street Sedan

Hey Defa, you are dead right mate!;)
400 Cu in is about what you are limited to for boring out a standard block etc..... but when mine was done it was bored out then wet sleeved.:whistling
It would have cost me an arm and a leg if i had to pay for all the machining etc but luckily for me the bloke i was doing my apprenticeship for had an extensive engineering shop and it was all part of my on the job training....YAY!:dance:
Luckily i got hold of an old block that had thrown a hole out the side and got to practice on it first.... cos i stuffed up a series of cuts..... and i set up the depth for the sleeves incorrectly and did not allow enough for liner protrusion and crush etc.:bang: MY BAD!
It still certainly was a project for me at the time as i was on fairly meager apprentice wages.:cry: But i am so glad i did it.
Keep up the good work guys!:thumbsup: Good luck on the hardtop etc.... i went to the chrysler expo on the weekend and it was awesome.!

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Hey Defa, you are dead right mate!;)
400 Cu in is about what you are limited to for boring out a standard block etc..... but when mine was done it was bored out then wet sleeved.:whistling
It would have cost me an arm and a leg if i had to pay for all the machining etc but luckily for me the bloke i was doing my apprenticeship for had an extensive engineering shop and it was all part of my on the job training....YAY!:dance:
Luckily i got hold of an old block that had thrown a hole out the side and got to practice on it first.... cos i stuffed up a series of cuts..... and i set up the depth for the sleeves incorrectly and did not allow enough for liner protrusion and crush etc.:bang: MY BAD!
It still certainly was a project for me at the time as i was on fairly meager apprentice wages.:cry: But i am so glad i did it.
Keep up the good work guys!:thumbsup: Good luck on the hardtop etc.... i went to the chrysler expo on the weekend and it was awesome.!
well there you go! learn something new everyday:) will hopefully have some more pics up by tommorow night! been pretty busy lately so only done a lil bit of work on the charger:thumbsup: hey also Rihno-racing whats wet sleeveing a block mean??