Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Value of VFII Commodores & Gen-F2 in the future?

What do ya reckon?

• Price will drop

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • Price will increase

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
Hiya all,

Just had a thought come to my mind.

So yeah normally cars drop as they get older and older, such as a 2010 SS might be 50,000 at launch but in 2017 might be 20,000 (yes I know those figures aren't accurate, just an example).

In your opinion, do you think the 2017 Commodores & HSV's will drop or become a 'collectors' due to being the last of their kind and go up in the future like 2030?

Ta

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
We all hope that they hold or gain. Only time will tell. I think their will be a bubble. I've got a MY17 SS Ute under cover in the garage. Their will never be a V8 Ute again , whereas one can still get a V8 sedan (euro).. It's a hard one and good topic..

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Hiya all,

Just had a thought come to my mind.

So yeah normally cars drop as they get older and older, such as a 2010 SS might be 50,000 at launch but in 2017 might be 20,000 (yes I know those figures aren't accurate, just an example).

In your opinion, do you think the 2017 Commodores & HSV's will drop or become a 'collectors' due to being the last of their kind and go up in the future like 2030?
Ta
2010 SS Series I was $57k, Series II $64k
2017 same cars " " $20k, " " $27k

I think petrol consumption will become much more of an issue within five years, not direct purchase cost but far less acceptable from a social, environmental and therefore regulatory compliance perspective.
For example there is no getting around the fact it is a six litre CO2 generator running throttled back within an inch of its life 99% of the time.
The redeeming practical feature of this car ironically now at end of production life is it's reliable longevity under heavy duty followed by cheap running cost versus non-Australian non-competitive offerings.
So in ten years that will definitely have eroded, in 20 years I doubt there will be much demand for any reason.
The R8 LSA is interesting in that it is of course not economical (one of the most uneconomical motors ever) nor made for heavy duty long term, terrible efficiency, yet despite that it is sure to be a collectible 6.2 supercharged anachronism.
I reckon what people will pay for one in 2030 would depend on how close to "new in box".

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Back in 1997, a block of land in Canberra was $40,000 A similar size block in 2017 costs $400,000. My point is that cars aren't really meant for "investments" but for the joy of driving which is priceless.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Impossible to tell but interesting to think about.

Being totally biased but I doubt the 2017 series II's will be much more than the 2016 series II's in years to come since their was hardly any change.
Magnum, Director and Motorsport editions could be a different story though. In fact maybe the Magnum might be the one to hold it's value since there is less around (I think)

PSISLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, VF2 Director, ZB RS-V Wagon
Impossible to tell but interesting to think about.

Being totally biased but I doubt the 2017 series II's will be much more than the 2016 series II's in years to come since their was hardly any change.
Magnum, Director and Motorsport editions could be a different story though. In fact maybe the Magnum might be the one to hold it's value since there is less around (I think)
Good point about the magnum, I think that will be the most collectable of the 3 in years to come.......
But I still bought a director lol

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
The problem that I see is that there is likely to be a huge supply of these cars in the second hand market for a very long time.
The cars that have appreciated in recent years are cars that no body expected to appreciate (classic Holdens, Fords etc.) that became rare, then there are genuinely rare cars (Ferrari's, Porsches etc.).

People are expecting these cars to appreciate and are buying them as investments, which means that there is always likely to be ample supply, which actually drives the prices down.

The fact that they're 'the last V8' doesn't really mean much in my eyes. In order for the 'last V8's' to become valuable, so would every other model year of V8 Commodore, with the MY17's and special editions commanding slightly higher prices than the standard models.

Having said that however, I think that the Ute will be the one that holds it's value the best in future years due to the fact that there is no alternative on the market.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
By that very logic shelter is a basic necessity and really isn't meant to be an investment.
Cars are not a necessity for 90% of Australians (due to our very high urbanization) but rather a discretionary purchase. This is why companies that produce vehicles at 1000x cost of others can exist (Lamborghini vs. Cherry).
V8's are a luxury as pointed out above, the problem I see though is the absolute domination on nearly every front by electric vehicles. Once their mainstream the consumption of petrol will lessen and the cost to recover the resource, refine it and logistically deliver it to all these petrol stations across the globe will skyrocket. Petrol powered cars will become the next horse, a luxury purchase that get's floated here and there for shows or usage at purpose built facilities.

Back in 1997, a block of land in Canberra was $40,000 A similar size block in 2017 costs $400,000. My point is that cars aren't really meant for "investments" but for the joy of driving which is priceless.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
There is an article in the Drive section of todays (5 May) Sydney Morning Herald about classic cars as an investment and of course overseas models that have a wider international appeal are the main subject matter but it did make reference to our local product and I’ve quoted that section.

You can go to the link to read the full article.

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/classic-cars-to-invest-in-20170503-gvxw0x.html

Quote:
Australian models

If you're an Aussie V8 fan, look away now.

Much of the value in collectable cars in Australia comes from overseas interest as high-end dealerships such as Sydney's Classic Throttle Shop and Melbourne's Dutton Garage regularly buy and sell cars from the UK, Asia and America for customers at home and abroad.

While that 911 R is a desirable car on every corner of the earth, the last Australian HSV GTS-R W1 - a car that costs $169,900 plus on road costs ($200,000-plus on the real world) - has limited appeal outside our shores.

1493039252391.png

2017 HSV GTSR W1

Shaun Baker, general manager of Dutton Garage, says high prices paid for Australia's last Ford Falcons and Holden Commodores represent "a very big bubble that will burst".

"Australia is a very small market," he says.

"Don't jump on the bandwagon thinking that you're going to make money."

Holden offered buyers of its final Motorsport, Director and Magnum V8-powered models a chance to have their cars delivered in protective plastic. But Baker says they are "rubbish" investments compared to cars with a global appeal.

Classic Throttle Shop spokesman Jay McCormack diplomatically says he is "not quite sure" of the investment potential of late-model Holdens.

But both salesmen are convinced by high-quality European prospects.

"These cars are commodities now. It's sad, but that's the way it is," Baker says.

"The demand will always be there. People are buying them as blue chip investments. They're not driving them - they look at the clock.

"This isn't mum and dad in the suburbs, these are blue chip investors."

McCormack agrees, saying potential investors should consider cars with appeal beyond Australia's shores. McCormack says Japanese models from the 1990s have strong potential for the future - cars such as Subaru's original two-door WRX STI models as well as Australian-delivered Nissan GT-Rs and tech-laden curiosities that may strike a nerve with millennial enthusiasts in years to come.

1493776188573.png

WRX

"Cool, iconic Japanese cars from the late 1980s and early 1990s are seeing a larger rise - definitely Nissan products and Toyota products which are quite cool," McCormack says.

"That's probably where a bit of the focus is."

Fundamentally, McCormack says people should buy something they enjoy first, because "there is no proven science or formula to buying something that's instantly going to appreciate".

Phawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF11 SSV Redline
Don't really care about value, I bought mine as a daily and a daily it will be, it's not pampered but it is looked after.