Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Value of VFII Commodores & Gen-F2 in the future?

What do ya reckon?

• Price will drop

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • Price will increase

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Hey Cuda,

Being a public servant (boo/hiss) we've got to use government datasets provided by the statisticians.

An excerpt from the ABS:

In 2012, people aged 55-64 years were the most likely to drive to work or full-time study (78%), while young people (aged 18-24 years) were the least likely age group (63%). Young people were the most likely to take public transport (28%) to work or study, compared with older age groups.

Differences in passenger vehicle use were also seen between men and women. Women were more likely to use a passenger vehicle to get to work or study compared with men (74% compared with 69% respectively). They were also more likely to take public transport (19% compared with 13%). However, men were more likely than women to drive other types of vehicles such as a ute, panel van, truck or motorbike to work or study (11% for men compared with 1% for women).

Note that the data is aggregated around census years so 2012 result are divined by 2011 census. The 2016 census, although poorly done, will demonstrate this trend of a lack of private vehicle ownership amongst the younger generation is accelerating. Expect that data and narrative sometime this year.
I firmly believe that as the cost of private vehicle ownership is second only to tge coat of housing (rent or bank rent.... i mean mortgage) that the increased cost of housing beyond inflatiin of wages (which are stagnant) has resulted in many young people foregoing car ownership as a discretionary expense against the cost of shelter. Sad but true.

ABS data from this link here:

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]/Lookup/4102.0Main+Features40July+2013#use&ved=0ahUKEwiLp4rPtNzTAhVIKZQKHTS6Av8QygQIHDAA&usg=AFQjCNFBDb16Hv-0QFX02-9RHpLzHbKGHQ
Haha. I'm an ex Pub servant too. I feel your pain.
I've seen planners use stats like these in traffic studies and get it very wrong, regionally speaking. Our Council paid a motza for a consultant to do a study here due to parking issues in and around the CBD. The recommendations included that there was an over supply of parking and we should introduce paid parking. They couldn't have been more wrong. I've been instrumental and vocal on the virtues of paid parking at major transport hubs. It works as a traffic managent tool. But not in our CBD. We need more parking.
Anyway back on topic, despite declining sales, I still believe our cars will decline in value over the medium term, but at a reasonably slow rate. This to me is another reason why it was a good decision for me to buy another one.

Last edited:

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
There is some interesting literature around the concept of the world having reached 'peak car' production in the past year or two based on the quality of second hand and demonstrator vehicles flooding the market.
There's been a remarkable shift in R&D towards electrics which will spur interest in new vehicle purchase soon and start the fading away of ICE vehicles. This has probably accounted for the stagnation in recent car development (outside of smart phone integration and gimmicks).

Exciting time to be alive!

P.S. I'm looking to relocate to real regional Australia as the quality of life is unmatched by the capital metros.

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
I also think that over time cars have become too similar, with manufacturers focusing on the areas that can be quantified and are tangible.

It's become increasingly hard to find a car with character or one that invokes passion in the driver, as this is something that can't be quantified.

I think that this is why we have seen cars that do invoke passion and are driver focused increasing in value in recent years, such as Porsches with manual transmissions and hydraulic steering systems, now that all but the top-tier Porsches have auto boxes and electric steering.

A focus on 0-100km/h times and fast laps around the 'Ring has forced a lot of the changes that result in the driver being disconnected from the car.

Last edited:

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Those reasons you give echo what the American reviews of the Chevy SS are heaping praise on the manual sedan. Comparing it over SRT, M and AMG variants because its a real drivers car

I also think that over time cars have become too similar, with manufacturers focusing on the areas that can be quantified and are tangible.

It's become increasingly hard to find a car with character or one that invokes passion in the driver, as this is something that can't be quantified.

I think that this is why we have seen cars that do invoke passion and are driver focused increasing in value in recent years, such as Porsches with manual transmissions and hydraulic steering systems, now that all but the top-tier Porsches have auto boxes and electric steering.

A focus on 0-100km/h times and fast laps around the 'Ring has forced a lot of the changes that result in the driver being disconnected from the car.

Flo Rider

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
They tick most the boxes to be collectable and worth something in the future - historical significance, unique - but lack the scarcity. Meet back here in 30 years and see who was right :)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Not really sure what point/s you're making Forg?
Just pointing out that the fact that young people in regional areas need a car to get around doesn't apply to the majority of Australians, and then bringing the general lack of interest in cars by young people back to the thread topic.
Certainly agree with your bottom line. When we bought the SSVR we always knew it was an indulgent expenditure on a depreciating asset; not being an LS3 car, ours will continue to depreciate harder than LS3 cars of course, but frankly it's my better half's car & she gets more enjoyment out of the not-all-black interior and the colour than she would out of the extra powahs and bimodals.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
All posts have more than 3 lines. Who the **** reads all this...

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Just pointing out that the fact that young people in regional areas need a car to get around doesn't apply to the majority of Australians, and then bringing the general lack of interest in cars by young people back to the thread topic.
Certainly agree with your bottom line. When we bought the SSVR we always knew it was an indulgent expenditure on a depreciating asset; not being an LS3 car, ours will continue to depreciate harder than LS3 cars of course, but frankly it's my better half's car & she gets more enjoyment out of the not-all-black interior and the colour than she would out of the extra powahs and bimodals.
Gotchya. Yeah I agree.
PS: I like the idea of having an L77 AFM Redline. It's got plenty of features the S2 missed out on, as you know. The seats are way better too. But for me, I really like the E85 compatibility and the AFM. It's cool cruising along the highway at 110+ and seeing the fuel consumption get into the 6's! I don't really think about resale. She's a keeper. Just like the Motorsport.

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
To me it's all about turning on my Aussie built V8 muscle car in 10 years time (hopefully in mint condition still) and just listening to the rumble and pops of the old school muscle that you just can't get anymore (maybe from internationally yes). Whilst driving my small electric vehicle during the week! It'll be the classic car we see gettting around today like the old school muscle of now. Maybe need some big cam in there...

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
To me it's all about turning on my Aussie built V8 muscle car in 10 years time (hopefully in mint condition still) and just listening to the rumble and pops of the old school muscle that you just can't get anymore (maybe from internationally yes). Whilst driving my small electric vehicle during the week! It'll be the classic car we see gettting around today like the old school muscle of now. Maybe need some big cam in there...
Agreed