Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vanity light / sunvisor light LED conversion

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
Well it turns out its super easy to change the sunvisor mirror lights to LED.
Just pop out the bit of plastic, it has a bunch of tabs that push into the outer plastic section.

I pulled the whole thing to pieces to discover you only need to takeout the single insert that has the mirror and light covers *duh*
I put in a piece of 12v led rope light readily available on ebay - an example 1M SMD 3528 Flexible 12V Waterproof LED Strip Light Cool White Striplight | eBay

I've found no information on the net about this, only people saying its too hard/buy a new sunvisor. Whilst I'm sure I'm not the first, I thought it would be helpful to post this for anyone looking to do it themselves.

NFI what sort of globes it uses, abut they pull 90mA. Would make them around a 1w globe.

Any Q's just ask.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Is lipstick to hard to put on with the normal globes? Jk.

My ssv doesn't have lights, assuming this is a calais sun visor?

Good if you want to change the colour temp of the light but otherwise I don't think ive seen a visor globe blow, ever.
Lexus have adjustable light in the sun visor, as in dimmable.

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
Yeh, I have an SSV also but bought the Calais visors off ebay for $40.
Not so much the temperature, as LEDs come in all sorts of whites, rather the brightness. Shizzleloads brighter than the filament cookers.
Reason I did it was more to suit other LED lighting in the car, I've done the rear spotties, just gotta do the front.

Yergin

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 MY08 WM Caprice 6.0L V8
What's the easiest way to get this off without pulling the whole thing apart as you did or breaking it (ie: pull here and it starts to pop off) this is the last thing on my list of LED conversion!.

For SSV, i apply my lippy before i leave the house just replaced all the standard globes on the car with LEDs and just want to finish the job off, hate the yellowy lights across the car! pure white is much nicer.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Vf SV6 Jungle Fever
485517_10202210173599763_1656700964_n.jpgled.jpg Here's mine but i used flat panel LED'S

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Yeh, I have an SSV also but bought the Calais visors off ebay for $40.
Not so much the temperature, as LEDs come in all sorts of whites, rather the brightness. Shizzleloads brighter than the filament cookers.
Reason I did it was more to suit other LED lighting in the car, I've done the rear spotties, just gotta do the front.

Sounds peachy, an astute bespoke mod for the well-groomed Holden driver. Where did you tap into power / any link to install?

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
What's the easiest way to get this off without pulling the whole thing apart as you did or breaking it (ie: pull here and it starts to pop off) this is the last thing on my list of LED conversion!.

For SSV, i apply my lippy before i leave the house just replaced all the standard globes on the car with LEDs and just want to finish the job off, hate the yellowy lights across the car! pure white is much nicer.

The plastic is in 2 parts. The outer bit, which sits into the visor itself and the inner bit. The inner bit has the mirror and lights on one flat piece of plastic, it has tabs on the right, bottom and left holding it in. Push it to one side and on the side with a greater gap, pop it out with a plastic knife, or very carefully with a screwdriver.
That's all that is holding it in. Work your way around until it pops out completely.
The LEDs I put inside it, just get soldered to the 12v and 0v bar. Unless there's some bridge rectifier action they'll be polarity sensitive.

Sounds peachy, an astute bespoke mod for the well-groomed Holden driver. Where did you tap into power / any link to install?
Power wise-I took it from the map lights, I think it was the orange and black wire. It just has to have 12v, it'll be one of the thicker wires. Be advised that this feed stayed on after I locked the car, I don't know if they eventually time out.

pdbee

Reaction score
Well it turns out its super easy to change the sunvisor mirror lights to LED.
Just pop out the bit of plastic, it has a bunch of tabs that push into the outer plastic section.

I pulled the whole thing to pieces to discover you only need to takeout the single insert that has the mirror and light covers *duh*
I put in a piece of 12v led rope light readily available on ebay - an example 1M SMD 3528 Flexible 12V Waterproof LED Strip Light Cool White Striplight | eBay

I've found no information on the net about this, only people saying its too hard/buy a new sunvisor. Whilst I'm sure I'm not the first, I thought it would be helpful to post this for anyone looking to do it themselves.

NFI what sort of globes it uses, abut they pull 90mA. Would make them around a 1w globe.

Any Q's just ask.

I don't know if you are still on this board

Mate, You saved me one giant headache (and probably a lot of coin if the dealer did it) Many thanks

I was a bit scared to do it at first but then I saw it was happening and the rest was a piece of cake

I even purchased 2 types of 36mm festoon LED's on eBay, now the car is LED's from front to back