Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Variable p/s rack vs normal, any difference?

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
Hey guys

(car is a vr v6)

The other night the left side of my power steering rack fell apart as I was leaving work, I had another steering rack sitting at home that dad got with his super sedan, both racks look identical except the new one has Variable stamped on the tag.

Is there any difference between a standard rack and the variable one? is it ok to be using the variable one in my car?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Variable ratio rack should be OK, the variable one is nicer to drive thats all. If it fits its OK. You're not talking about speed variable are you ? I believe these have an electrical connection and can only be used on Hi series cars such as Calais.

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
Theres no electrical connection and physically looks all the same so I'm guessing it will be sweet

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The standard poverty pack steering rack is the variable ratio rack and pinion unit.
Like greenacc says, the speed variable (Bosch Variotronic) has electrical connections and needs the higher BCM or whatever.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
If it is infact a variable speed rack, you'll also need a different pump, so keep that in mind.

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
The Variable will sit straighter so if you extractors it will not fit, also you need the whole Steering assembly or the lower steering shaft as they are different lengths.