Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VB SLE Brake upgrade

geforcevb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SLE
I am not in a position to do the VT brake upgrade yet working on it, after sitting for so long my standard brake calipers have seized and the bleed valves have snapped off. My question is if I was to pick a CHEAP VS commodore am I able to use the brake calipers and rotors from it and what other parts from the car would I be able or worth transfer on to my car as I don't wont it sitting in the yard long.

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
They should bolt straight up.

Might be worth installing the booster and rear brakes too

180sc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais & vh sl
You can use the calipers but you will need vn v8 or vq discs as the vs wont go on they use a hub assembly like the vt. this will increase front rotor size to 290mm thus improving braking a bit. you can also use the vs booster and master cylinder but the vs uses the newer flare on the lines so you will either have to re flare them with the right flare or get line adapters which i believe Howard Reynold's Racebrakes or BHSS Automotive Engineering - Home manufacture.

geforcevb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SLE
You can use the calipers but you will need vn v8 or vq discs as the vs wont go on they use a hub assembly like the vt. this will increase front rotor size to 290mm thus improving braking a bit. you can also use the vs booster and master cylinder but the vs uses the newer flare on the lines so you will either have to re flare them with the right flare or get line adapters which i believe Howard Reynold's Racebrakes or BHSS Automotive Engineering - Home manufacture.

Thanks mate

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
just throw the calipers on (and VL V8/turbo, VN/VP V8 290mm discs)
no need to change the booster, although a 1 inch master cylinder off anything from VB-VR (non-ABS) will optimise the setup.
VS rear calipers are the same as VB-VR.

Before I upgraded to the VN Grp A setup, I ran VR front calipers on the VH, with 290mm rotors and VH inch master cylinder and it worked well. In fact there really is no need to go to the expense of the VT setup on a VB-VL unless you plan on taking the car to the track

180sc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais & vh sl
The change of booster is something i did on my old wagon as i was intending on upgrading to the vt brakes later down the track and with minor modification the vt master cylinder works with the vs booster saving you the expense of changing to the vt one.