Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve alternator/electrocal

chrisbug

Reaction score
Members Ride
vesportswagonsv6
ve alternator/electrical

Have had my095 sportswagon sv6 for just under 12 months (+ex demo time of 6 months), impressed with overall package (just under 45000kms). However, driving vehicle other afternoon ALTERNATOR started flashing in tripmeter display, followed by battery light in instrument cluster, a/c also failed at this time. Stopped vehicle , inspected belts- all good. Restart, all lights out, however a/c agian died(fan and cooling) within minutes. Took vehicle to holden and being friday afternoon with grog to consume and chicks to r**t no sense until at least monday. Just wanting any info on any similar problems just to arm myself with when investigating problem/warranty claiming. Vehicle has not been altered electrically by anyone but the dealer.

Last edited:

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
youve probably already checked, but I had a similar problem in a previous car.... loose battery terminal leads! this can cause the issues you describe, but I seriously doubt its the actual alternator. intermitent on/off power fans lights etc sounds more like a loose wire. dont worry, if you got warranty you'll be fine, they'll find the issue pretty quick.

MySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6
I'd agree - unlikely to be the alternator. More likely a bad battery (yes the do fail), or bad connection - more likely than not on the battery again

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
the ve electrics, in the event of a altnerator failure, the bcm will shut down high power consuming not life critical components to save battery power

the ve's alternator is also regulated via the ecm, the altnernator dosnt self regulate on these

MySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6
the ve's alternator is also regulated via the ecm, the altnernator dosnt self regulate on these

Ahhh I did not realise that. I knew the car dropped non-critical items to conserve power - about time in an Aussie made car :)

chrisbug

Reaction score
Members Ride
vesportswagonsv6
Thanks guys,
Holden contacted me today to say the alternator/generator requires replacement - under warranty which is a relief, but with townsville being such a small place and not many VE's in circulation - (only been making them them since 06), no alternators in stock, has to come from brisbane, should be here in a day or so - doesn't help me for transport, but it is covered so that is the main thing. Of course we couldn't work on a weekend shift unlike many sectors servicing transport industry.

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
They can usually give you one but it costs you $$$.

When they offered me that solution I refused it cause I didn't think that I should have to pay for something that isn't in my control.