Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Berlina Audio Distortion

kunalraiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
None
I'am sure this topic must have been discussed many times here.
What I'am looking for is a simple solution to stop this distortion which starts at about volume level 15,even when the EQ is set flat and all the other DSP is neutral.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Does the berlina have the centre channel speaker? Start by taking that out.

Is the distortion coming from all the speakers or just one or 2? I know standard speakers are rubbish, but I'm sure the ones I've heard go a bit louder than that.

There is also a distortion limiter option (or used to be) in the stereo somewhere. Its basically a volume limiter and will just stop you turning it up that loud. Also a rubbish design

EDIT: Sorry, this is assuming it's all standard

kunalraiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
None
The audio is all standard,the distortion is from the centre speaker.

I'am not very keen to remove that speaker as I want to keep everything stock.

Would there be a matching speaker I could readily replace it with and wouldn't cost much.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
The first audio upgrade see ALL VE owners doing is removing or simply disconnecting that centre channel speaker. If you want a replacement, throw some measurements our way and we can find something.

I have a feeling its smaller than a 4" isn't it?

If you want to keep it as stock as possible, just disconnect it, then reconnect it when you sell the car

kunalraiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
None
I would disconnect it,only if I know where to look.

Then sound seems to come from around the steering wheel.

--Ben--

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SV6 ute
G'day,
Yeah I've got a '07 SV6 ute, and have had the door speakers replaced with Alpine 6.5" splits, when I was driving home after install, thought gahhh distortion, yes running off stock head unit, no amp yet,(till I get some more $).
All my distortion was from the centre speaker, why they(Holden) even install I don't know, it's a crappy little 2.5" 20watt speaker.
Pull the grill off, simple, 2 luggs on each side of grill, and 1 at the front centre (nearest to your A/C vents), and just ease it off, not yank as you'll bend the grill, and then 2 screws holding speaker in, with clip on speaker connections, easy...

= No more distortion, with exception of need for a amp, and sub. :)

CJY92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
G'day,
Yeah I've got a '07 SV6 ute, and have had the door speakers replaced with Alpine 6.5" splits, when I was driving home after install, thought gahhh distortion, yes running off stock head unit, no amp yet,(till I get some more $).
All my distortion was from the centre speaker, why they(Holden) even install I don't know, it's a crappy little 2.5" 20watt speaker.
Pull the grill off, simple, 2 luggs on each side of grill, and 1 at the front centre (nearest to your A/C vents), and just ease it off, not yank as you'll bend the grill, and then 2 screws holding speaker in, with clip on speaker connections, easy...

= No more distortion, with exception of need for a amp, and sub. :)
sorry bout the thread dig..
i have taken the grill off took a fair bit of pressure but all clips are ok and didnt loose any =), however the screws holding the speaker are really tight i think i need a bit shorter screwdriver cause i have to have it on a little angle to use it, the ones next to it are just nipped up nicely and can be undone but the speakers screws i feel may get bured over if i keep trying..
did anyone else have the same issue.
and does do this make the other speakers work a little bit better?
Thanks

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yes you will need a "stubby" screwdriver to undo those screws. Because the centre speaker is a weak point in the system, its the first thing to distort.....disconnecting it will give you more volume before the distortion becomes audible.

CJY92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
thanks got it disconnected but still couldn't get the screw closest to the driver side undone.seems like its stuck to the metal plate or the paint had adhered to the screw head.
just had to use a flate head to push the clips off.
does sounds a better still cant really handle songs with too much bass, but shall do until i get the actual system.