Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE BERLINA trade off of VZ

daveb8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
mattman said:
In more recent years at least. People looking at buying a VE up front probably have have a VX or newer already (3-5 year cycle). So compared to what they would have now, it's taking a step backwards.

are you still talking about berlinas? how do you figure?

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
its always been the base model. then there is the choice of going the luxury way (berlina) or the sports way (S or sv6). then theres the higher models calais and ss.

the berlina and S model are sort of equal in the way one gets a touch of luxury and the other gets a touch of sport over the base model

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
naf33n said:
the berlina and S model are sort of equal in the way one gets a touch of luxury and the other gets a touch of sport over the base model

That's actually a really good way of putting it... :D But they shouldn't have left the POS 4 speed Auto in the Berlina. Lucky SV6 owners will get the 5 speed auto (if they stupidly DON'T get the Manual). I still want a sexy new 6 speed auto across the range though... Series 2 perhaps...? Hint hint Holden ;)

On the Vn/VP Berlina comment, my comparisons weren't going back that far! I was comparing the VT-VZ Berlina with the new VE line up. As with all new models, you usually see new features and extra luxuries etc. Hence my comment stands: the VE Calais is essentially what a VE Berlina should have been over the VZ Berlina.

I think some people get what I'm trying to say here... Not sure. Fact is Holden have put the Berlina in a class with the Omega (shared engine, higher suspension, 4 speed auto, dash - albeit with a tacky woodgrain strip, trip comp. etc). This means that the people who bought VZ Berlinas will now be looking to the Calais (not necessarily the Calais V) for the same sort of styling, features and class the VZ Berlina offered over VZ Exec and Acclaim. Bottom line is a VE Berlina is almost identical to the Omega. SV6 has a lot more over the Omega - different suspension, transmissions, engine, dash/instrumentation, styling (aka body kit).

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Berlina has a different bodykit also though. It has the same sort of advantages its always had over the exec/omega.

The Berlina is not a luxury car. Never has been. It is not a Sports car. Never has been.

In the VE line-up the Luxury group is the Calais and the Calais-V, the sports group the SV6, SS, SS-V.

The Berlina belongs in the Functionality group with the Omega where it has always been. Thats always been the purpose of the Berlina. Its still available with a V8 and its still going to be available as a wagon, unlike the Calais.

I think daveb8 explained it best in his post:
daveb8 said:
i dont think the vz acclaim equals the ve berlina. you just said yourself it has climate control, 6" screen, 17" rims, 3-window dash, better materials etc. i would say

VZ Exec = VE Omega
VZ Acclaim = VE Omega w/ optional safety package
VZ Berlina = VE Berlina
VZ Calais = half way between VE Calais and VE Calais V

VZ Berlina does not equal VE Calais, calais has way more - 195kw engine, 5sp auto, dual zone climate control, 6 way power front seats, sports suspension. i think they dropped the price of the berlina cause it was a rip off. it was an exec with bits of chrome and "luxury" items such as climate control and 3 window dash. add value for some people i suppose but the extra cost to holden was not proportionate to the extra RRP. but thats where most companies make their money - thick profit margins on differentiated products. VZ berlina did not even have ESP

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
Functionality group? WTF? Mate the berlina has always been the entry level luxury model for Holden. Why do you think that until the VE it shared it's looks with the Calais? It's had climate control, power windows, triple window trip computer, velour (not just cloth) seats.

Functionality? Yeah sure! It used to function nicely as a base model luxury sedan. Now it's just an Omega with chrome bit and a crappy looking piece of woodgrain.

Ronaldw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS DEC 2007
I think scotty has got the idea I was getting at the VE Berlina body sitting on a VZ powertrain with minor refinements that would not make me buy the VE Berlina and that is probably why there is two models of the Calais.
There are special pricing on the VE and if anyone is after a new car I would check the price out, the Berlina was $39000 + on road I can get employee discount and it comes down to $31000+ on road.

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
i knew as soon as i read the pricing charts that theres a reason for a decrease in some cases because theve just taken all the fruit out of the previous high models and left the badges to make one think oh im getting a new VE calais for cheaper than id previously had bought a VZ calais not thinking in actuall fact the VZ calais in a sence has more fruit and is a nicer car if you dont take into the fact that its older each model has their perks i guess when you think about it and look at a poverty pack vz and then look back to a poverty pack vn your probably getting more in the vz poverty pack than you did in the vn calais

Ronaldw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS DEC 2007
I like that evil_monkey a poverty pack is a good way of putting it.

daveb8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Scotty_Doesn't_Know said:
I think some people get what I'm trying to say here... Not sure. Fact is Holden have put the Berlina in a class with the Omega (shared engine, higher suspension, 4 speed auto, dash - albeit with a tacky woodgrain strip, trip comp. etc). This means that the people who bought VZ Berlinas will now be looking to the Calais (not necessarily the Calais V) for the same sort of styling, features and class the VZ Berlina offered over VZ Exec and Acclaim. Bottom line is a VE Berlina is almost identical to the Omega. SV6 has a lot more over the Omega - different suspension, transmissions, engine, dash/instrumentation, styling (aka body kit).

Scotty_Doesn't_Know said:
Functionality group? WTF? Mate the berlina has always been the entry level luxury model for Holden. Why do you think that until the VE it shared it's looks with the Calais? It's had climate control, power windows, triple window trip computer, velour (not just cloth) seats.

Functionality? Yeah sure! It used to function nicely as a base model luxury sedan. Now it's just an Omega with chrome bit and a crappy looking piece of woodgrain.

1991_Vn2nV is right, i bet he has been reading wheels which explained it that way, and which is right because thats the way holden explained it to them.

the berlina has always been the base model with "luxury" features (climate control, alloys, chrome etc). the drive in a berlina is exactly the same as the ride in the base model because it has the same engine, transmission and suspension.

people who bought vz berlinas will continue to look at ve berlinas because it hasnt changed. in the vz, the berlina was the same as the exec but with luxury...and thats what it is in the ve too.

in the vz, the calais was an exec with luxury and sport...and it still is. it has 5sp, 195kw engine, and sports suspension therefore it is very different to a berlina. the only thing holden have done with ve is merge the exec and acclaim.

Last edited:

hkmonaro68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
VE Berlina has,
unique front facia and front fog lamps
17" alloy wheels
additional instrument cluster with trip computer displays
sidi impact airbags
rear park assist
body coloured mirrors and door handles
6 stack cd player/mp3 compatibility,7 speakers
leather steering wheel and illuminated controls
dual zone climate control
bluetooth
level 2 MFD

This is out of the Holden technicians overview.