Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Blues

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
Um, how? The HSVs are the only ones with LS2 engines and MRC.

Sorry, I should have elaborated on my use of the vehicle.

MRC and an extra 37kW (is it 37? what is the standard LS2? 270?) make a trivial difference for day to day driving off-race-track, and within the speed limits, hence my analogy above about the car being a calais v with different badges.

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Suddenly finding myself in the position of being able to afford a brand new car for once, I was going to g check out a VE, but with all the stories I have read and heard first hand, I was going to hang out for the Series 2 or Series 3...now I think I might just start to look elsewhere...hemi 300C anyone?:w00t::yeah:

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
NO... the VE is the best car I've EVER driven :driving:

and after a few year am buying clubby :king:

it's just great ... try one and you will know what am saying :angel:

I use too much smilies don't I ? :D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 04 S/W
Hey Coz,

What was the reason for going to the Clubsport from the Calais? or do you still own both?

Windsurfing.....

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Sorry, I should have elaborated on my use of the vehicle.

MRC and an extra 37kW (is it 37? what is the standard LS2? 270?) make a trivial difference for day to day driving off-race-track, and within the speed limits, hence my analogy above about the car being a calais v with different badges.

Um... You clearly made an informed decision when you bought your car - NOT!

The HSVs all get the same 307kw 6.0L LS2 V8 and as of next month it will be 317kw accross the range. The Holden V8 is 270kw Gen4 L98. MRC is Magnetic Ride Control and has nothing to do with engine power! It's standard on the Senator and GTS.

If you think your Senator is Calais V with different badges, then you need to get a clue!

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
Um... You clearly made an informed decision when you bought your car - NOT!

I see - thanks for your input - but again, wrong.

The HSVs all get the same 307kw 6.0L LS2 V8 and as of next month it will be 317kw accross the range.

No ****. I bought an HSV, not an SS/Calais. That's why I was asking what the 'standard' V8 was rated at (because I didn't buy one, I don't know exactly).

MRC is Magnetic Ride Control and has nothing to do with engine power! It's standard on the Senator and GTS.

Thanks again for reminding me - I had almost forgotten. Not sure why you bring up this topic though, as I never inferred it was related to the engine. My comment was contrasting the Senator to the Calais V.

As I said, for day to day driving (such as what I do, every day, to work, on a freeway) there is no significant difference whether you have MRC or not. As a result, I'm kind of regretting paying for it.

I don't happen to whizz my Senator around Mt Panorama, so I'm unable to comment on whether it'd make a difference out there.

If you think your Senator is Calais V with different badges, then you need to get a clue!

Apart from MRC (see comments above) and the engine, there is little appreciable difference between the two.

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve here though Cousin Slow Poke. You've clearly had issues with the VE yourself, but when others on this forum raise issues they've ecountered, you come in on the defensive and attack them.

Strange, really.

If I want to whinge, I'll whinge. I've already spent six months with HSV trying to get my issues resolved, which I think is a fair & reasonable period of time to have put effort in seeking a solution before whinging. Having dropped $85,000 on a Calais V which came with a list of unresolved issues, I'm sure you can understand why I'm a little frustrated.

Last edited:

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Having dropped $85,000 on a Calais V which came with a list of unresolved issues, I'm sure you can understand why I'm a little frustrated.

Ummmmmm... A Calais V doesn't cost $85,000 mate. I certainly doubt a dealer would give ANYONE a car with a list of un-resolved issues. Have you still got this list? I would love to see it...

You've clearly had issues with the VE yourself, but when others on this forum raise issues they've ecountered, you come in on the defensive and attack them.

Attack people? Ummmmm, no... I don't get defensive about anything or attack anyone - I simply say what I think and what's right, and most of the time they are one and the same! :D The issues I've had with my VE Calais and now my VE Clubsport R8 (2 issues per car) have been trivial at worst and always promptly fixed by my dealer under warranty. I don't whinge about it or feel sorry about my purchase or have any regrets, I just share my experiences. Simple really. All manufacturers have issues regarless of whether you buy Australian, European, American or Asian cars. Live with it! Yes it's unlucky when you get one of the cars that isn't perfect but it happens and is why there are warranties on cars and places like the ACCC and Dept. of Fair Trading etc etc etc...

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
Ummmmmm... A Calais V doesn't cost $85,000 mate. I certainly doubt a dealer would give ANYONE a car with a list of un-resolved issues. Have you still got this list? I would love to see it....

I really would've thought you were clever enough to understand what I was saying.

In saying the Calais V cost $85k, I was indicating that I had effectively purchased one by buying a Senator. See my previous post for the explanation.

Obviously a Calais V doesn't cost $85k if you go to a dealer and ask for one.

In terms of the dealer giving a car with unresolved issues, again you've misinterpreted what I said. When I picked the car up, do you honestly think the dealer had anticipated all the problems I've experienced? Clearly not.

I'm talking about the present point in time, and the list of issues. Go and read my other posts and you'll discover the list.

Yes it's unlucky when you get one of the cars that isn't perfect but it happens and is why there are warranties on cars and places like the ACCC and Dept. of Fair Trading etc etc etc...

Those agencies are the last resort. The reason they exist (particular Fair Trading, the TIO, etc) are to take on issues which were unable to be resolved between the end customer and the supplier. You'll find a direct relationship between reputable companies (particularly in the TIO example) and the (low) number of complaints which ever reach the agencies you mention.

As I said in my other posts, the actual problem is usually irelevant - the way the supplier handles it is what the customer will remember. All about the approach. It's amazing somtimes. If I receive bad service (e.g. HSV) I think , "imagine if I carried on like this with my customers". We'd be out of business overnight. Then again, we don't sell low quality commodity products either.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
I really would've thought you were clever enough to understand what I was saying.

In saying the Calais V cost $85k, I was indicating that I had effectively purchased one by buying a Senator. See my previous post for the explanation.

Obviously a Calais V doesn't cost $85k if you go to a dealer and ask for one.

Um, here's what you said:
Having dropped $85,000 on a Calais V which came with a list of unresolved issues, I'm sure you can understand why I'm a little frustrated.

You said you spent $85,000 on a Calais V. You didn't. You spent $85,000 on a HSV Senator which is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CAR but BASED on the Calais. Actually has nothing to do with the Calais V. The Clubsport R8, Senator and GTS all start life on the Holden production line as Calais'.

In terms of the dealer giving a car with unresolved issues, again you've misinterpreted what I said. When I picked the car up, do you honestly think the dealer had anticipated all the problems I've experienced? Clearly not.

And again, what you said was:

Anticipate? You said the car came with the problems and a list of what they were. Read your own post buddy! If it didn't come with any sort of list or any problems, why say it did?

You and Simon.w must be great mates... You're clearly both on the same wavelength!
I'm talking about the present point in time, and the list of issues. Go and read my other posts and you'll discover the list.