Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Brakes changing pads - ss guides

POBoxfordV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE omega
When changing brake pads on a VE omega following the usual proceedure, I've used on every other car I've had, yes those 18mm caliper support bolts are tight as, but moving on.

The problem I encounted was fitting the pad into the stainless steel guides, they fit into the body of the caliper, It was vey fiddlely, getting those pads in, so much so that I think I've done something wrong, than the holding tabs were rubbing on the disc.
Are they necessary ?
and do you remove them and reinsert when the pad is in position?

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
You'll need those shims otherwise the pads will be loose and you'll get noisy brakes. They shouldn't be touching the disc so make this they're on the right way. Pad replacement was pretty straight forward when I did mine.

Emmcee1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010sv6 wagon
Sounds like your piston isn't pushed back far enough. Just a guess.

POBoxfordV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE omega
As I suspected I was doing something wrong. Removing the calliper assembly off the disc is the hard way. When all else fails look at the manual! In summary it says to anchor the disc with a couple of wheel nuts, using G-clamps, 2 on the front pads, or 1 on the rear pads, after retracting the piston, remove the lower bolt, hinge the calliper upwards,hang it with wire, and the pads are exposed sitting in the calliper anchor plate. It also says those 18mm bolts are torqued to 44 ft/lbs + 120 degees
Holden prices for pad replacement kits are round $150-$170, and include new SS retainer/guides.
You are right Vong10, the retainers/guides/shims main function is anti-rattling.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Best tool for Holden caliper bolts is big breaker bar with swivel head, good one not cheapie. Turn steering to lock if bar could hit guard paint. Easy with the right tool and handy when you find some other real tight nut.