Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Commodore 2006 Stretched Timing Belt

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
And for Sabbath it is true what everyone says about you on here .. Let's just say everyone fkn loves you.

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
got my 07 SV6 done at peerless auto in lynbrook cost me $1700 for job. he even gave me a loan car while mine was in shop there. happy with the work done on my car. dealer can charge u thousands

Smiddy_Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
I had this issue. I believe it was only in the 06 models as they changed the thickness of the belt from the VZ, but was soon changed back in the later models.
Anyway it set me back $900 (inc new water pump) at the dealership in Dandenong i go to.
Its a known fault by GMH and they have achknowledged it by changing it back to its older size. and by achknowledging it they have to do it under warrenty. But can only do this if your car has been kept up to service regulary.

womble66

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE CALAIS V - V6
I had this issue. I believe it was only in the 06 models as they changed the thickness of the belt from the VZ, but was soon changed back in the later models.

they have a chain not a belt and its more to do with elongation of the links by only a few mm over the length of the chain that causes the issue which I believe has more to do with a lower quality part from supplier for the ve.

Anyway it set me back $900 (inc new water pump) at the dealership in Dandenong.

I would say for that price they didn't do the full list of parts usually required and only replaced the suspect part. If you look through the various posts on this topic there is info on what should be replaced such as left and right chains, tensioners and guides. When you do all parts its about $1200 for a DIY or ~$2K for a non-dealership to fix or +$3K at Holden.

Joey schippel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SV6 Commodore
Can anyone tell me how much roughly how much it would cost to get my timing chain fixed I have a 2007 ve sv6

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Can anyone tell me how much roughly how much it would cost to get my timing chain fixed I have a 2007 ve sv6
Just did mine. Bought the parts for $400 Mechanics charging from1K upwards.