Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Commodore - Alloytec Timing Chain - Just dropped off to the mechanic

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
if anyone has any questions in regards to the lead up, let me know! as I'm sure alot of people are curious.

What year model is your car? ie most threads on here with alloytec timing chain issues are for 2006 and first half of 2007 (approx)
i've even read 2 threads SIDI's with timing chain issues (both cars had over 100,000km)

i suppose my question is...what is the difference that you are experiencing compared to ALL other VE 2006-07 owners on JC who have had to have their timing chains replaced?
i read sooo my posts on this it's not funny, i'm thinking i'm sort of safe with an MY09 VE but no guarantees so i'm, as you put 'curious', as to your thread, your car's year model, and anything else useful that may help other JC members.

mthw

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
What year model is your car? ie most threads on here with alloytec timing chain issues are for 2006 and first half of 2007 (approx)
i've even read 2 threads SIDI's with timing chain issues (both cars had over 100,000km)

i suppose my question is...what is the difference that you are experiencing compared to ALL other VE 2006-07 owners on JC who have had to have their timing chains replaced?
i read sooo my posts on this it's not funny, i'm thinking i'm sort of safe with an MY09 VE but no guarantees so i'm, as you put 'curious', as to your thread, your car's year model, and anything else useful that may help other JC members.

2006 - Built September

I've read a few threads and didn't notice anything about major performance loss, so i guess i was just curious if anyone would reply with a similiar situation in relation to that.

Have also read that 2008 and onwards there was revised chain? so yours should be safe.

It's also interesting to find out through Ari666 that chains aren't the be all and end all non frequent service solution, and the cheaper replacement process of the belts makes it a slight move backwards cost wise

mthw

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
Im just saying its a bit expensive if its not holden doing it.

This includes the water pump replacement & some nice fully synthetic oil, and was quoted $3500 through Holden & also told by another mechanic they wouldn't do it.

I know some people have had it done properly (tensioners, guides etc) for $2300 (cheapest i had seen) although that mechanic was much to far away from me!

Some suggested to sell the car, wait to get off my p's and use the money for an 8, although consciously i couldn't sell it in it's current state, so im hoping the performace loss was related to the chain & it's only the fuel guage which is the issue!

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Not sure if the issue lie with the chain or the excessively extended service intervals.

maxthedralf

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V
Not sure if the issue lie with the chain or the excessively extended service intervals.
its the chain.. holdens decided to introduce thinner chains to the late vz and early ve... they diffident know the chains couldn't take the power of the engine and would stretch. the problem is people dont know about the new statutory warranty revision that was introduced early last year. under the new law. parts that are "not fit for purpose" have to be replaced by the company regardless of age within reason. since the chains are a known fault to GM and are ment to last three times the life of the engine. not 100k into it. you have to take it back to the place where it was bought from tho. my car threw a code and it turned out to be the chains. had the update. but before i left, i printed out all the GM service fault documents regarding the chains and about 30 of these forums and said. "i want this fixed for nothing considering its a known fault with the chains which are never meant to be replaced." if and when the code gets thrown again. long story short. im getting it done for free.

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
Between the timing chain issue on the alloytec v6 and the lifter issue on the LS v8 i kinda don't feel like upgrading my old commie....both jobs cost mega bucks to fix, on v6 the front of the motor has to come apart and on v8 you need to pop the heads off to access the lifters. Sigh.

Vs-AclaimII

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Series 2
Thanks Guys, I'll have a look on Ebay

Sent from my 500T using Tapatalk